Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New SP2 18GB limit not going into effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SYS

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2008
US
We recently moved to SP2 on our 2003 Exchange Server because our store had problems once it hit the original 16GB limit (server crashed, I increased the size of the DB temporarily to 17GB and did all the recovery). We had a number of errors for a while when trying to install SP2, but after finally getting it to work, I went into the registry key:

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\Server name\Private-Mailbox Store GUID

And added the following value:

"Database Size Limit in Gb"
Decimal value of "20"

After that I stopped and started the store and when I go into the Event Viewer to confirm the new size, the Application logs (1216) read, "The information store database '(our name)' is limited to 16384 MB."

Anyone have any ideas as to why this wouldn't take? I tried restarting the server completely and the size stayed the same. Is it possible the Event Viewer is getting it wrong? Can I confirm it elsewhere?

Thanks for the help

Delete that entry and recreate it using a DWORD value. Restart the server completely and see if it takes a second time.

You *are* in the right part of the registry and checking the right 1216? Not got the public and private misread? (Just checking not trying to patronise).

It is a DWORD value ("Database Size Limit in Gb"
and a decimal value of "20"

Yea, it's created in the private folder right now. What is the default max for the public folders? Do they count in towards the 16GB (or whatever limit is set)? Perhaps I should set max values in both folders and see if it takes.

Any other thoughts?

Yea, that's exactly what I did. I tried first just dismounting and remounting the data store, then I redid the changes and did a full restart, no luck either time. I'll have to check the server this morning and see what the logs are reporting.

Does it matter that we're using Small Business Server 2003?

It looks like SBS2003 won't be a problem...I'll let you guys know if I see anything new today that may help someone figure this out.

Did you try reinstalling SP2? If you say you had a number of errors when installing SP2, maybe something didn't work correctly that has affected the store limit change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back