Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new sound card - no sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadySlinger

IS-IT--Management
Nov 3, 2002
US
Hello,

I have been working on a computer all weekend and I'm stumped. The person brought this computer to me originally because it had no sound. I double checked that everything was plugged in correctly, and yup there wasn't any sound.

So I went out an got him a new sound card. plugged that in, loaded the drivers for it hooked the sound card up to the CD ROM, plugged some speakers in, and rebooted. No sound still.

I double checked the Interrupt requests, etc and there aren't any conflicts with other plug & play items or add ons.

The PC has WIn98 SE on it, new CD ROM (I replaced it for him a couple of months ago). It is a very old machine (Gateway 2000) so parts were manufactured back in 1995 (according to their labels).

Any ideas?

Thanks!
LS

Hi there, make sure that the MIXER isn't set to MUTE...

go to the system controls, double click on the MULTIMEDIA, there on the bottom should the the control to display the mixer in the TASKBAR, check it... then double click on the little speaker symbol by the clock and check to see if it is set to mute!

Ben

PS - sorry, if it sounds like tattling, but I'm working with a foreign version of Windows and translating directly is a bit rough...

Yes I did check that, nothing is set for mute in the volume control settings. I also made sure that they were all the way up (or at least half way up on the volume level)

I had this happen to me once and my fix may or may not help. Check to see if you are using digital speakers and make sure the card is set (through software) for digital. My experience, I was not going through digital and a simple unticking of a box set my sound free.

If there is no sound at all, even when playing an audio CD:
-Check all speaker connections and wires, make sure the speakers are turned on and are connected to the correct port on the sound card, and adjust the volume control on the speakers.
-Make sure the audio wire is installed between the CD-ROM drive and the sound card.
-Make sure the sound card is securely inserted.
-Insert the sound card in another slot.
-Try the speakers either on the headphone port of the CD-ROM drive(make sure to adjust the volume dial on the CD-ROM drive), or on another system. If sound is heard, then the speakers are ok. If no sound is heard, then the speakers are bad.
-Plug headphones directly into the sound card, and play a misic CD. If there's no sound, then the card is probably defective.

If there's sound from a music CD:
-Check 'Device Manager/Sound, Video, and Game Controllers' for any IRQ conflicts or problems with missing or corrupt drivers,etc.
If an IRQ conflict exists, then manually assign a free IRQ to the sound card.
If there's a driver problem, then remove the sound card from Device Manager, restart the computer, reinstall the drivers.
Also, make sure the sound card is assigned 01 for 'Direct Memory Access' in Dev. Mgr.
-Go to Start/Settings/Control Panel/Multimedia/Audio, make sure the sound card is selected in the 'Preferred Device'
window under 'Playback', click the volume control icon next to the 'Preferred Device' window to adjust volume settings and make sure the Mute box is unchecked, click the Devices tab and click the + by 'Audio Devices' and make sure
the circle is checked for 'Use Audio Features On This Device', and the box is unchecked for 'Do Not Map Thru This Device', click the + next to 'Audio Codecs' and make sure there's a long list of codecs(MS, etc.).
-Make sure the volume control is properly adjusted in the sound card's software(if applicable).

Did you try inserting the sound card in a different slot?

Do the speakers work on a different system, or when they're plugged into the CD-ROM drive's headphone port with a misic CD playing?

Did you make sure the sound card is assigned 01 for 'Direct Memory Access' in Device Manager?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back