Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrSwaity

Technical User
Aug 27, 2003
CA
I'm going to ask another question in a different post. *please look at the other question from me too!*

I have two servers, and right now only one of them does anything, but this is the senario that I would like to have:

Equipment:
2 servers
60 clients
4 printers
-----
I would like the two servers to replicate eachother, and this is what I have running through my head.

I need
A/D
DNS
File Shares
IIS
DHCP
Email

Email is handled through MDaemon, not Exchange.

Now, A/D and DHCP I know how to have them replicate. DNS I'm assuming that I have the DHCP show the Primary DNS server be Server1, and Secondary DNS Server be set to Server2. Is this right? For file shares I think I will use DFS. But, for IIS6 and for email, I don't know how to make it so if Server1 dies, the 60 users can still use those two services. They are IP based, so does that mean I have to change the IP address on all 60 users PC's (or change the server's ip)? Or is there a way to "Forward" ip requests to a different IP address? Also, the DFS will be over a 2.5 dsl line. Will that be fast enough?

Okay, so my questions were:
1. DNS, how do I make it so DNS is on both, and if Server1 goes down, Server2 is already configured to go?
2. Is there a way to forward an ip, lets say 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.9? This is for IIS and email.
3. Is 2.5mps ADSL fast enough for DFS (word documents, very small stuff)? Or is there a better way? Like a "Clone" folder feature where it will only update whats new/changed?
4. Any other tips/tricks you can offer?
5. Please read my other post regarding DNS problems!

Thanks!

1. You have DNS installed on both servers. You make both domain controllers. You make DNS zones AD integrated. and you specify both in DHCP srever/scope options as dns servers. - and you're rolling ;-)

2. no idea on that one.... aprat from clustering i.e. a web farm :-/

3. once all is replicated, DFS does effectively 'clone', like you say. the bandwidth seems sufficient for me...

-DHCP: you planning to use the 80/20 rule? does that mean anything to you??
-linked via adsl line, i gather two sites, 1 DC in each?? It that what you plan? if so, you ok on sites & services??
and if this is your setup, make both servers global catalogs...

5. OK :)

Aftertaf

getting quite good at sorting out Windows problems...
An expert when it comes to crashing Linux distributions (mdk, debian - nothing withstands me)

Thanks for the reply Afteraf

4. The 80/20 rule is one DHCP server does 80% of the scope and the other one does 20% right? or am I way off base? Second, question, the second server is going to a remote location for redundancy. This server is nothing but a backup, but I want it up to date at all times and be able to take the main server offline and not disrupt any users.

Thanks for you help!

dhcp... right ;-)

your server will be in a remote location?? will there be users there?
you'll need to set up sites & services, and make your 2nd server have a different subnet IP address. (otherwise, lan traffic will be slow as domain members will also attempt to contact this DC.....

the site config will help make things work correctly in these ways:

-replication of AD/DNS will occur according to a schedule you set up.
-Authentification of users will be with the DC in their site/subnet
-idem for DFS share access...
your network will be more efficient if you implement this.

Aftertaf

"Resolve is never stronger than the night before it was never weaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back