Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New server - torn between processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPettit

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2003
US
I'm putting together a new server for handling an EDI application. I'm having a hard time choosing a processor. Value for my dollar is much more important than actual cost.

Here's what I have to chose from (PowerEdge 2900 III):
Dual Core Intel® Xeon® 5160 4MB Cache 3.0GHzLV 1333MHz FSB [add $454]
Quad Core Intel® Xeon® E5410 2x6MB Cache 2.33GHz 1333MHz FSB [Included in Price]
Quad Core Intel® Xeon® E5420 2x6MB Cache 2.5GHz 1333MHz FSB [add $105]
Quad Core Intel® Xeon® E5430 2x6MB Cache 2.66GHz 1333MHz FSB [add $245]
Quad Core Intel® Xeon® E5440 2x6MB Cache 2.83GHz 1333MHz FSB [add $454]
Quad Core Intel® Xeon® X5355 2x4MB Cache 2.66GHz 1333MHz FSB [add $315]
Quad Core Intel® Xeon®X5450 2x6MB Cache 3.0GHz 1333MHz FSB [add $629]

Maybe I'm wrong, but the E5440 (quad 2.8) seems like the best deal overall. Anyone else have an opinion? Any known issues with any of the processors?

If it was me, and this was a highly intense application (not sure about yours, just making an assumption), I'd put my money into extra RAM and the fastest storage system possible. Those are where the performance will take a hit if they are inadequate.

marvin

Just purchased a 2900 III (the heavy beast should be delivered today)....
I went for the quad 3.0, 8 gig ram, (7) 15k SAS as it is for a few databases, two disks in raid 1 in flexbay, the remainder in raid 5 in the backplane, as the client has the resources. I might get a SATA drive for log/tmp/pagefile later on.

Agree with Marvin, the disk system and ram quantity is most important. The 2.8 is plenty; in my case, the dual core would likely have been sufficient for a 7-10 year stretch.
This server will be for Server 2008, which Dell has verified for use with this model (with the typical disclaimers). One of the issues this client has is using the 64 bit OS, as the forced upgrade costs of new software will will hurt, along with the added OS licensing/terminal services cals (going from Win 2000).
Unless things have changed in the last year, ignore the processor cache size in your decision, has little overall.
affect. As to ram sticks size, I choose 2 gig sticks, to leave room for more. Do yourself a favor, get the 3.5 internal floppy for adding drivers, tell sales you want an optical mouse. Double check the quote has everything you ordered, two initial quotes had things left out; love how Dell rarely gets the initial quote correct.
Can't wait for the new toy, just downloaded 2008 rc1. Plan to align the disk sectors to the 64 mark vs 63 on both array sets. Love new toys.

You might be interest in this great disk benchmark site, in Dutch, benchmarks are English

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Usually you can talk them into dual at a reasonable price, or often free! You'll see they run specials frequently offering for instance dual 5410's at no charge. I'd pick dual lesser processors over a single higher processor any day.

2900's are great servers- improved over their predecessor (2800) which was also a great value. Hard to beat the bang for the buck. Deployed several of these last year.

Typically, I will shop a server on my premier page, and both the small business and medium/large business sites (that way I have access to all possible deals/specials) and then send my best build to my sales rep for a formal quote.

What will almost invariably end up happening is that my sales rep will then send back a quote for a higher spec machine for less money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back