Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Server...Switching from MS Mail to Exchange 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

aarick161

Programmer
Apr 22, 2003
US
I'm completely ignorant when it comes to Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition so bear with me please. My company is planning on ordering a new server (Dual PIV 3.06GHz, SCSI drives, etc... whereas the old one is a dual P1 166mhz). The first of my questions is this. Currently the .pab and .pst files of our users reside locally on their own hard drives. Can this still be done when we upgrade to Exchange or do we (or can we) have to store this all on the server? After setting up Exchange on the server, am I going to have to reconfigure each of our clients computers to recognize Exchange as the server instead of MS Mail? We have a third party email program on top of MS Mail called Electric InterConnect, will this still be necessary with the use of Exchange? Also, if anyone here has a link or has step by step instructions on how to complete this migration it would be much appreciated. Sorry for all the questions but as I disclaimed this is new to me.

Thanks in advance,
Rick

Thanks. We have 130 users using around 150 mailboxes. Electric InterConnect is used to send and receive inbound and outbound external mail since MS Mail either doesn't do it or isn't configured to do it. Not sure what you mean by mail client except that our users use Outlook. Is that what you were looking for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back