Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New server causing problems adding indesign files to a book 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

garykford

Technical User
Feb 26, 2008
GB
I have a master template of indesign, illustrator and photoshop files setup on a server that has just been moved to a new server. Upon creating a new indesign book and then proceeding to add the indesign files the program seems to hang up. Is this problem caused by the way the files are stored? All my indesign files have links to illustrator and photoshop which have been lost as well. Please can anyone help?

Thanks G.

The files are still being linked to the old server, indesign can't find the path because the original path that it was on is on the old server. You need to relink your files to the new server.

If you still have your old server running and InDesign filess are working from that then package the files locally to your desktop and then repackage to the server OR package the files from the old server straight onto the new server, if you can.

Apparently its not the server that has changed its just one of the drives has been updated to a larger one. I.T. have told me that the path is still the same. Is it worth me just repackaging anyway, I have over 150 seperate indesign files to re-do, any suggestions on the quickest way?

Thanks
G.

If the path is still the same then the files should still be linked, methinks that IT are lying to you.

No quick way I'm afraid. Just open one at a time and repackage.

That's the reason exactly that I work locally and only finished documents are packaged to the server. Well not the only reason, but one of them.

The other main one was that working on a file and it was on teh server, when I went to save the file and the server lagged then Indesign crashed, lost a few files that way.

So if you can push for it, get large harddrives for the local machines and do a backup once a month of the files your working on. Only package finished jobs to the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back