Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new server and its clients with slllllllow incoming traffic via router

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhartmann

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2002
At a site of a customer who used a totally confusing NT4-network (about 10 clients and a server, where all the clients and profiles did contain more dead than alive links, DLLs etc. and the printes where connected to clients who shared them ...) together with an ELSA LANCOM ISDN-router (who also used to serve as DNS- and DHCP-server besides being gateway and NATranslator), I installed a new W2k-server and switched most of the clients to PXE-/RIS-based W2k-Pro-configurations. The new W2k-server provides DHCP and DNS (with forwarding to the router/gateway) for all other computers, including the old NT4-server, the W2k-clients who are members of the new W2k-domain (AD), the NT4-clients who are still members of the old NT4-domain and one W2k-client (my service notebook) who is not a member of any domain (just get's dhcp-configured DNS- and gateway-addressed etc.) DHCP on the router is switched off.

The problem now is that all members of the new W2k-domain (including the server/domain controller) have really slllllooow incoming traffic via the router (=from the internet). Outgoing traffic is fast, DNS works (the connections, for instance ftp-transfers or mail-downloads, start normally but after that there's nearly no incoming traffic at all), and all PCs (NT4-clients and -server and my notebook) have no problem at all. (I had to set up the old NT4-server as mail proxy for inoming mails for the new Exchange 2000-server, otherwise it didn't get any incoming mails.)

Does anybody know or have an idea what the reason/mistake could be that leads to this strange problem of all the new domain's members including their server?

Thanks in advance,
Jörg H.

is only happens when downloading files? not with web pages? A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

No, no, with ALL incoming data transfers, including web. The ip address resolution (DNS) is no problem, and the transfers even seem to start (small transfers like incoming status messages do work, and also when trying to transfer larger data/files sometimes a few hundred bytes are transfered until the rest stops), but everything else doesn't work or sometimes works reaaaaaaaaaaaally slow (TOO slow for mail transfers and most web pages).

As I wrote, only members of the new AD domain (including the DC) have this problem.

Any idea?

Process of elimination. We know it isn't the router - right?

Change one of the W2K clients to a static IP, use something else as a DNS server. See if that is any better.

Next take the client out of the W2K domain. Is it better yet.

If its still broken, put it into the NT4 domain. See if you can make a machine work by just reconfiguring it to be identical to a currently working machine.

-Lance

Well, my focus would be on the Windows 200 server, since everything is happening only on that domain.Are you running web services? ARe you running out of viruses?
A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back