Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Scan Engine, ePO 2.5.1, and VSEN 7.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiefsmt123

IS-IT--Management
Mar 28, 2002
US

Here is some background info:

ePO 2.5.1.213
We run a Mirror task every week to download the latest DAT files, then we place these files on an FTP server. We have AutoUpdate tasks setup in ePO that points the various clients to this FTP site to retrieve DAT file updates.

Can anyone confirm for me how VSEN 7.x clients and ePO 2.5.1 will handle the new scan engine when it is included with the SuperDAT on Feb. 4th?

With VS v4.51, there is an option within the AutoUpdate task to apply the latest scan engine if present. I've seen this work fine in the past. Now that we have a majority of VSEN 7.x installed, I'm unable to find how this may work. There is no option I can find for applying the scan engine like v4.51.

My thinking is that we need ePO 3.x or MAA to have the new scan engine rollout. The thing that bothers me is when I manually run the AutoUpdate task on a VSEN 7.x client, it states that it's checking for a new scan engine. More fuel for my confusion.

I would like to try to ensure a deliberate rollout of the new scan engine I would prefer to be able to control this process.

Thanks!

I run the same setup

Although i've not tested this, I'm sure that when the update task checks for a new engine, it will install it if there is a new version.

The downside of using epo 2.5 with VirusScan 7 seems to be that this is not something which can be configured. Using epo 3 its possible to configure alternative repositories for the updates so you could have an update site which, for example, holds the latest dat files but the previous engine (useful for field based users with modems) and another update site with all the latest files.

I've just tested this using the available engine package for auotupdate architect.
Autoupdate finds the new engine and installs it without trouble.
It must be possible to configure 2 different update sites with different engine versions to selectively update diffrent machines using epo 2.5 and autoupdate architect.
It just seems like a lot more hassle than it would be using epo 3

Thank you very much for your responses.

So, it sounds like that after I run my Mirror task to gather the DAT files for my FTP site(after Feb. 4th) that I need to remove the contents of the \Current\VSCANENG1000\Engine\0000\ folder, and replace it with the previous scan engine files. Correct?

I'm thinking that when I'm ready to rollout the new scan engine to a specific location, I could simply add a new AutoUpdate task that will point to a different FTP folder that has the DAT and latest scan engine.

Does the AutoUpdate task on Netshield for Windows or VirusScan v4.51 check the SuperDAT for an updated scan engine?

Thanks again.

I tested a workstation running v4.51 that I had reverted back to the 4.2.40 scan engine. It, in fact, used the SuperDAT to update the scan engine. Fortunately, we can turn off the update scan engine option in the AutoUpdate task for this version of VS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back