Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New SBS server can't send email

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhcon

IS-IT--Management
Jun 2, 2002
US
We have a small office with 1 server and about 9 workstations. They use outlook just for inhouse e-mail among the nine. the server was an Nt 4.0 SBS but it crashed and we replaced it with Win 2000 SBS when I set up the users , the info also set up mail boxes in exchange, but nobody can send e-mail it looks like the email was sent but it goes in that black hole.
On the client side is Win98 and Outlook. They authenticate into the server, can access resouces such as the internet,files, printing. do I have to add anything to the client side, or tweak exchange to get email to go.

Thanks

Chuck

Doesn't anyone have a clue???

Thanks
chuck

Okay. So, before it crashed, that server was a NT PDC with Exchange 5.5 running on it.

Then, after, you upgraded it to a Win2K DC and are running Exchange 2K on it. Correct?

The server is the same name, IP address, DNS server, etc?

Chuck,

I also use SBS2000, and when I initially installed it it would receive mail through the POP3 connector but not send. This is what I did to correct it:

(It seems during the install it does not set up forwarding)

1. Start the Exchange snap-in
2. Under Connectors -> SmallBusiness SMTP connector
3. Under the General tab, click "Forward all mail through this connector to the following smart hosts:" and enter your ISP's mail server

If you don't want to relay for other domains, in the same properties sheet:

1. under the address space tab, uncheck "Allow messages to be relayed to these domains"

Once I changed these settings, I was able to send mail.

Daniel.

When it crashed it DIED we bought a brand new gateway server with sbs 2000 on it. It has the same name, IP as the old one I transfered all the old files on it set up users using the same names as the old one and we only use it for IN HOUSE e mail but when you hit send it looks like the message is gone but it never gets anywhere.All other functions of the Small Business server is working, printing, access the internet, users can see each other. but no exchange. Whe I look at all the exchange books they talk about setting up mega domains on every continent. I have One server, ten users, all I want is to have in house email like I used to.

Thanks

chuck

in ad users & computers right click on a user, select exchange tasks, mail enable user

/Bart

Not enough info.

What't the adrress template look like?
What is the Sites Organization name?
Is the Default SMTP Server email domain '*' or is it unique?
Is the IIS installed (SMTP Service)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back