Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New SBS Server 2003 Install Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

schief13

Technical User
Jan 21, 2004
US
Hello,
Looking for the best practice opinion as I have read several solutions to date on this subject...
I currently have a 10 pc workgroup attached to a Netgear FVS318 Router which is acting as a DHCP server. I have a server with SBS Server 2003 installed that will be the DC. My ISP uses dynamic ip addressing and the router is set to get the DNS settings from the ISP automatically. The new server only has 1 NIC card. What is the best way to set this up?
Thanks

First disable the DHCP from the Netgear router.
The dynamic IP that your ISP uses WILL not affect your SBS since you got a Netgear router. The Netgear router will negotiate the dynamic IP either by PPPoE or any other method. Then, put a fixed IP within the same subnet as your router for your NIC and have it's gateway point to the IP of the Netgear. The DNS addresses of your ISP should be put in the Forwarders of the DNS of your SBS. Good luck !

Just to add to akwong's post (which is all excellent advice),
you need to decide if you want your server to be the central point of contact for all of your Internet access. if so you will need to run through the To Do list and runt he internet Connection Wizard again and specify this. Doing so will automatically configure RRAS for you.

If you just have a dynamic IP from your ISP, then you must be using POP mail. Running through the ICW will walk you through setting up the POP3 connector so you can use your Exchange server to pull down email rather than have to have the clients do it. I would recommend getting a static IP address and then do away with the POP3 mail and solely use Exchange.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back