Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New SAN help with selecting vendor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambroso

MIS
Sep 27, 2008
US
We are torn between a LeftHand SAN and and a Compellent SAN and wondering if anyone had any thoughts either way. The lefthand solution was all iSCSI (of course) and consisted of a SATA box(x2) and a SAS box (x2) for geographic redundancy. The Compellent SAN consisted a one enclosure outfitted with both SAS and SATA drives (x2)... I like the Compellent feature set but their software maintenance is HEAVY.. The lefthand san is great especially the network RAID but that all affects storage.. I guess just looking for thoughts either way.. Thanks..

Currently have a dual controller compellent SAN and one Single controller Compellent SAN(dr). Have about 20 server running off of it(4 vmware server hosts,25 vm's). Management and performance is great. Very easy to add drive enclosures on the fly. Replacing a failed disk is very easy compaired to some SANS which require a long process.
CoPilot support is Excellent and will help you and answer any questions you have about possible configs.

Your VAR should be able to knock the price down by applying a case study discount. Also they are the only san i know of that offers FAST Track. This is were you can opt to write certain data to the outside of all disk to increase performance. This will give the data 15k drive performance on 10k drives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back