Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Raid system Old OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnwhite1201

Technical User
Jul 28, 2002
US
I am wanting to install a RAID 0 system in an existing system. And for simplicity sake, lets say it is done and I am running with my new system at RAID 0, how difficult will it be (even if it is possible) for me to convert from a RAID 0 to a RAID 0+1. My thinking is that I should just be able to add the new drives and go thru the motions. However I am not sure as this RAID stuff is all new to me. My situation is that my current drive, a 60gb IBM Deskstar (deathstar) has I guest bad resetting issues on the heads ‘cause it comes up with tan error message of ‘NTLR’ or something of the like and it sounds as if the heads are trying to start or stop or something. I just got the utility from then so this evening I am going to try it when I get home. But in the meantime I have purchased two MAXTOR 120gb w/ 2mb of cache and a simple RAID controller that will handle the configuration that I am wanting.

I will accept any reply with open arms and a warm smile! [afro]

Glenn

'What matters most in life is what we do for others' :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back