Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New RAID setup...what am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wahnula

Technical User
Jun 26, 2005
US
Hope this is the right forum...

Quick background:
Self-built server, Asus K8N-DL, dual Opteron, onboard nVidiaPro & Sil3114 RAID controllers, RAID 1 on nVidia for OS & Apps, RAID 1 on Sil all WD Raptors. Basic file server w/ 9 users. Daily backup to USB HDD using SyncBack SE.

I was running RAID 5 on the Sil controller but random drive crashes forced me to look at other alternatives. For temporary use, I backed up, destroyed RAID 5 array & rebuilt as 2-drive RAID 1, recovered data from BU, all good.

I purchased a 3ware 9000 series SATA controller, installed it, tried the same procedure (backup & recover w/ Syncback) and the mapped folders were not recognized, and Exchange was hosed (MBDATA is on the data array).

I returned to the previous RAID 1 config, Exchange was still hosed, had a tech visit, he ran eseutil/p and got it back.

My new plan for installing 3ware called for using a spare drive as a ping-pong drive and recovering from a cloned image. I installed IDE drive, cloned array to IDE w/ Ghost 2003, unplugged RAID 1 drive, schanged the letter assignment of IDE through Disk Management to the same letter as the old array, and tried to use the IDE as data drive.

Same results, folders not mapped as before to clients, Exchange could not see the data. I enabled sharing on the mapped folder and that fixed that but ExchSysMgr could not see Public Folders.

I re-connected the RAID 1 drives and everything returned to normal. Any ideas?

Tony

This is the Storage Area Network and Network Attached Storage forum.

To me, your issue sounds like a switch or flag missing from your cloning routine.

I would post your message in the Windows 2000 Server Forum, Windows 2003 Server Forum, or any of the Exchange forums.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back