Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New RAID 0 over existing RAID 0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gagster123

Technical User
Jun 27, 2005
US
hey guys i am having a technical issue. here is my current setup:

MSI master far2 mother board (dual AMD opterons)
2x 74 gig WD raptors (RAID 0 with MB onboard SATA) < OS
1x 250 gig Maxtor IDE

i have windows xp pro installed on my array, and have used all my free space for video. i need more storage, so i bought another 250 gig HD, but this one is SATA. my 2 onboard SATA's are used, so i got a PCI adapter. heres the problem:

when i plug in the SATA adapter and the new HD, my comp tries to boot from it. i went into bios to change the HD boot priority, but the new WD array overwrite my existing VIA onboard array. when the adapter isnt plugged in, it boots from my onboard perfectly. when i plug it in, my onboard VIA no longer appears in the bios, but the new one does.

how can i install this new SATA HD without losing any of my existing data? thankyou.

Check to see if there is an option on the new board to not load bios, or to not boot from this card, as this forum is for IBM server storage and you have a pc, moving this to a general pc forum might get better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back