Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New - "old" install

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb307

IS-IT--Management
Aug 20, 2001
DE
Howdy fellas!

some time ago I was called to a customer and during my work I found the following situation:

a NT4 based domain called "FIRM"
and a W2k/AD/E2k server w/NetBIOS domain "FIRM" (sic!) and DNS "firm".lan
(no real names here).

I informed the admin there about upcoming problems and during my stay the were hit by'em

"We are only running it as a test system w/4-5 users." I changed the W2k config a little bit so the basic services on the doamin weren't heavily affected. (setting up 4-5 users twice isn't a big deal).

But now they have set up a production system w/129 mailboxes (8,5 gigs data already)

Now I have to install the E2k from scratch after upping the NT4 domain to W2k/AD. None of the researched paths would be acceptable (checked them all in a test env.) My research left some Q.s

a) EXMERGE: I understand that the documented 2GB limit of PST-files only applies to Outlook im- and export, right? Exmerge would handle bigger files? Or ist the restriction within the file format?

b) The basic names won't change (user, organisation etc.) - will the import cause any SID-based troubles?

c) Would Exchange rebuild the links during the import of the mailboxes (Same names here)? Or should I expect a growing store?

d) Public folders have to be exported via Outlook "by hand". True?

e) Is there any tool/script to export the configuration of Exchange stuff. ASCII just for reference to be sure that nothing got lost would be sufficient (reimport ...)

GreetnX

Harald

I dont think there will be any problems with sid orientated matters here, if their current exchange setup is nt4 you need to populate AD with the exchange info by way of the active directory connector (found on e2k cd) Do you have multiple servers to play with? eg: if the production exchange setup is in fact nt4, after setting up the ADC you can move mailboxes onto the e2k server via AD users and computers snap-in instead of using exmerge. Pub folders cannnot be exmerged so you would have to move the data manually. 01110000

Hi jaksen121!

The one and only Exchange is on W2k/AD (DNS server, DC). Up to now the users were keyed in twice.
It is _not_ a member of the NT4 domain and both have the _same_ domain name (NetBIOS).

What I could try is to install another E2k on the updated NT4 PDC, move users/data: But still they do have to have the same domain names and I tried to connect them in my own lab. Didn't work.

PST limit is 2GB. Don't matter what client.

"SID-based troubles" - Not sure whatcha mean. The only thing we make to transfer SID is ADMT. Exmerge is just moving mail.

You lose Single Instance Storage. The store will grow. When you Exmerge it will tell you the total size of psts. This is roughly the size of your new database.

Public Folders are still manual. Rumor is someone in PSS is making a tool but it isn't close to being finished.

You can do csv exports. Also screenshots!
Dan
Microsoft Exchange Support @ Microsoft

Hi Dan!

>PST limit is 2GB. Don't matter what client.

The limit is implied by the file structure?

>"SID-based troubles" - Not sure whatcha mean. The only thing we make to transfer SID is ADMT. Exmerge is just moving mail.

I'm thinking about this, because there are two distinct SAMs: One on a NT4 PDC and one on a W2k/AD/DC with Exchange 2000 running on it. Both have the same NBT Domain name "FIRM". Users are keyed in twice.

>You can do csv exports. Also screenshots!

I thought to try a LDAP tool (Softerra or Cygsoft) and use the layout from Q252370

Harald

>The limit is implied by the file structure?

Yes thats why I said doesn't matter what client.

>I'm thinking about this, because there are two distinct >SAMs: One on a NT4 PDC and one on a W2k/AD/DC with >Exchange 2000 running on it. Both have the same NBT Domain >name "FIRM". Users are keyed in twice.

Ok I still don't see what you think the problem is going to be.

>I thought to try a LDAP tool (Softerra or Cygsoft) and use >the layout from Q252370

ldifde comes with Windows 2000 and is free.

Again it sounds like your causing more work than is needed. Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back