Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New PS problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnthephoneguy

Technical User
Jan 17, 2005
US
I needed a new PS so I bought an Antec SmartPower 500w. I installed it correctly on my Asus P5B Motherboard. When i turn the PS on, the Asus leds light up but nothing else will. I double checked connections and then reinstalled my old PS, when it is turned on everything works as it should, so i doubt it is the power switch on the Case. I took the new Antec back where I got it and they replaced it. When i connected the second new PS it does the same thing as the first. I would find it hard to believe I have 2 bad PS's that are brand new, so what gives?

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

John,

First, is that 110-220 slider switch in the right place? Have you stuck a meter in the molex sockets to read voltages? Have you used the new power cable that came with the PSU or your old one? Are you using the correct 20+4 pin connectors?

Dumb questions I agree but...

I agree two in a row is unusual but not unheard of. Try a Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling, Enermax etc. if none of the above work then there's something REALLY fishy going on.

It might be like a body rejecting a foreign transplant!!!

Tony

Try disconnecting the PSU from the motherboard and all drives. Attach an old HDD to one of the 4-pin Molex connectors, so the PSU has some load on it. Connect mains cable to input and now short together pins 14 and 15 (this is for a 20-pin power connector) on the PSU. Pin 14 is usually green, pin 15 is black (ground). Drive should spin up and fan inside PSU should run whilst those wires are shorted. That at least will give an indication that the PSU is working, although it could conceivably still be faulty with a full load on it.

Two other things to try. Disconnect the mains power cord from the PSU. Connect up the leads to the motherboard, drives etc., and turn the mains switch ON at the back of the PSU (if it has one). Leave it like this for 10 minutes or so, to give the PSU's capacitors a chance to discharge. Now gently offer up the live mains power connector to the socket on the PSU. If power is running through the AC input stages of the PSU, you will hear a slight "crack" as the pins arc as you push in that connector. It's not a loud sound, but might just help prove if the PSU is faulty or not. The other thing to check is this. Do exactly as above, and when power connector is pushed in, watch the CPU fan to see if it momentarily moves just a fraction. If it does, then that suggests an overload of some sort, which is activating the crowbar protection circuit.

Let us know how you get on...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

I traded a few emails with antec support, they think it is 2 bad power supplies. There are no known issues with my motherboard according to them so they said replace it again, this time I did not buy an antec and now it works. Thanks for the suggestions though!

JohnThePhoneGuy

I traded a few emails with antec support, they think it is 2 bad power supplies.

This does not bode well for the company...I have an Antec EPS12V 550 in my server and now I've got something ELSE to worry about!

Tony

12-06-2006 10:21 I would also find it hard to believe that you recieved 2 bad power supplies. What kind of motherboard do you have? Jeff Smith
12-06-2006 10:34 I thought I said that in the original entry, sorry. I have an ASUS P5B deluxe motherboard. john Foster
12-06-2006 14:42 Oh my mistake, I overlooked that. Sorry. There are no known issues with your motherboard and power supply, so you must have a faulty one. Take it back to the store for a replacement, if this one is bad i will have you send it to us for a replacement and we will give you one that will work. Jeff Smith

JohnThePhoneGuy

Yeah - I don't like the sound of that - Antec has a good reputation (as far as I have ever heard) and they were on my list for when I go building again. But I see Enermax up there and I have heard other good things about them so maybe they move to the top of the wish list.

Do we think Antec may have gotten bigger than their britches? I know they have a lot of slick ads in the magazines and I wonder if they are letting quality slip in favor of marketing.

John, if you don't mind telling, may I ask what you ended up getting in lieu of the Antec?

My buddy at work had a raidmax 630 he had for his build so he sold that to me for what he paid. he is still waiting for other parts so he had time to order a new one.

JohnThePhoneGuy

Nice. Cool blue lights? I've seen good reviews for that unit.

And it works where the other didn't so that's always a plus. ;o)

I had seen Antec's performance specs, they are middle-of-the-pack but I thought they were beefy & strong and a reliable brand name(good marketing???). Good price, too.

I have had some performance issues with the server that may be PSU-related, but I always dismissed that possibility because I had an Antec, and they're good, right? Now I am not so sure.

I think I will be trying one of those 1K beauties from PC Power & Cooling.

i had thought better on Antec before also, but after getting 2 DOA units in a row I am having doubts, maybe it was a bad shipment I guess. Maybe a bad batch of parts they recieved when they built it, I dunno.

JohnThePhoneGuy

I have a new jeantech 350 w psu which runs ok with pins
14 and 15 shorted but only powers up from the front button
about once in every 10 times.
(I was attempting to upgrade the psu.)
I'm puzzled-maybe it's a cpu good signal problem or faulty new unit ?.Motherboard is Abit AN-8.

Johnthephoneguy said:
I took the new Antec back where I got it and they replaced it.

This may not be a problem with Antec so much as a problem with your reseller. One scenario at the reseller:
"Hey, this PSU Joe Blow brought back, did it test out ok?"
"I dunno, sell it and see if it comes back."

"We must fall back upon the old axiom that when all other contingencies fail, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes

Well I opened the first one and it appeared to be factory sealed, the second one we opened together at the store, also appeared to be factory sealed.

JohnThePhoneGuy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back