Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Project Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

studybum

Programmer
Feb 24, 2001
US
The operating system is Windows 2000 and I'm signing in as Administrator. In researching other users and attempting networking the Administrator no longer has Visual Basic available for use. I found the VB6.exe and dragged a shortcut onto my desktop. The effect of this is when starting a new project, I no longer have all the available icons I used to. The only icons I now have are Standard.exe, ActivexExe, Activex DLL, and ActiveX Control.

Reloading the software did nothing to solve the problem. What do I need to do to regain all the icons typical to opening a new project?

Reinstall VB to the same location as before (typically c:\program files\Microsoft visual studio\vb98 if you took the defaults).

What's happened is you're missing the registry entries for your userid. Which is odd, since if I'm not mistaken, VB installs so that all users can use it (under NT/2000). If that's not an option, try exporting the registry tree at "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Visual Basic", signing on as administrator, and adding the .reg file back in.

Chip H.

Hi chiph,

I don't think all users get equal rights in VB even if the're administrators. I've installed VB on my machine, running win2K, while logged in as administrator. When I log on to a domain using my own username I typically get my own profile etc. I've given this user administrative rights (which you want to do, because else some apps you've written will not run) but still when running VB under this account I don't get all the add-ins I get when logging in as administrator?

Beats me..

Wonder who knows a solution.

Jordi Reineman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back