Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Problem... VPN's and Workgroups

Status
Not open for further replies.

TravisC

Technical User
Dec 12, 2006
Alright I have solved my earlier problem of just not being able to connect to my VPN and can connect.

My new problem is this. We have six XP Pro computers all linked through a workgroup. I want to be able to access those resources from a remote location, hence the VPN idea.

When I connect to my VPN Host (Through Windows XP) and try to browse the workgroup resources or the shared drives I am unable to see or access anything. Also I am unable to access the internet while connecting through the VPN.

So, my first question is... (1) Am I dreaming to think that I can vpn into a workgroup that does not have an actual server, and (2) If this isn't a pipe dream, how do I make this work?

My first thought is to ensure that your VPN devices have NetBios broadcast enabled.

Also make sure you have the same DNS servers as that workgroup.

I hope you don't mind me interjecting here, but I have exactly the same problem.

I have enabled Netbios inbound/outbound on the modem/router
I have enabled netbios over TCP/IP on the network connection.

The DNS Servers are automatically obtained.

Still no remote network PC can be seen even though the connection is good.

Any pointers gratefully received

Many Thanks
Jack

Hi there

I have just spent many days trying to get this to work.
There is just a minefield of info on the subject.

I am convinced my current setup - linking 2 workgroups (no server) via a VPN will not allow me to browse the Network.

Is this due to my ADSL Modem/Routers or is it due to lack of WINS/DHCP Servers, I cannot say.

Without going out and investing in a whole new setup to prove the point then I am going to have to give up the ghost.

Is there anybody out there who has managed to link two workgroups in different locations together via a VPN or has anyone got an alternative method to link the two (I only have to see 1 network share) that dosent entail costs of over £1000.

Apologies for being so despondent, but it gets you like that sometimes

Any pointers apprecaited

Jack

Apologies from Jack

Oh ye of little faith.

As soon as I had posted the last submission of despondancy, I had one last go at sorting it out and when all seemed lost I came across another post on this forum that pointed me to the answer.

Both my workgroups had the same IP subnet...
192.168.1.x - and as soon as I had changed one of them to 192.168.2.x I could view the remote workgroup.

Hallelujah

I hope this is of some help to someone out there.

Good luck and all the best for the New Year
Happy faultfinding

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back