Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New PowerEdge 1950: Internal Issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoJimbo

Technical User
Mar 21, 2007
US

Hi,

I am a librarian responsible for the library server at a small college. We recently acquired a new PowerEdge 1950 on which I installed Ubuntu Server 6.06 LTS. While troubleshooting an issue with the network folks on campus I got this response -

"It is probably having some internal server issues. From the inside network, it responds to ping but not to http, telnet or ftp. The server operating system appears up, but nothing else seems to be working."

Any idea what the issue may be or how I can isolate it?

Server has SAS 5i Controller/No Raid, Broadcom NetXtreme II 5708 Ethernet NIC.

Thanks.

Found a thread on the Ubuntu forums that may help, will try in the morning. During the install the Broadcom Onboard Ethernet is not detected, wonder if it could be a missing driver?

I noticed this when I installed but I just manually added the loopback, eth0 and eth1 entries to /interfaces and restarted networking and it seemed to work...I was able to download updates and applications. Maybe a newbie mistake, maybe not.

It is also mentioned that the eth0 and eth1 ports seem to be reversed, will check the cable also.

It is probably having some internal server issues. From the inside network, it responds to ping but not to http, telnet or ftp. The server operating system appears up, but nothing else seems to be working."

Maybe Windows firewall or IIS ?

This is my conundrum. My server sits within the campus network but other than that we operate independently in the library. I don't have any access to or much knowledge of DNS, Firewall, etc...

And since all of the IT was outsourced last year, I don't receive much support. If I know specifically what the problem is I may get them to help me fix it, but currently they're saying things are fine on their end so I'm on my own to diagnose it.

I did check and the ethernet ports on the Poweredge were reversed, i.e. eth0 is interface 2 and eth1 is interface 1. I connected the cable to interface 2 eth0 and emailed them as much. Hopefully that solves the problem.

If the server is responding to Pings then it is communicating on the network. Can you ping the machine from a workstation to confirm your IT group can indeed ping it? Is HTTP, FTP configured on your machine? I am not familiar with Ubuntu really but if it does ping than I would look more to an OS configuration problem than a hardware issue.

Actually I discovered the issue on Friday before I went home and forgot to update my post.

Turned out to be an Apache issue, the glitch was so obvious I just didn't think of it for over a week.

Thanks for responding anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back