Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New position after 7 months?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gshadz37

Technical User
Mar 21, 2005
US
I've been in my current role for approx. 7 months. The position I originally applied for at this company was cut back during the interview process, so I went for the one I'm in now.

I've spoken to the hiring mngr. of this position who gauranteed it wouldn't go away this time.

Dilemma:
The original job is posted again, which I am 100% qualified for and is what I've been doing for the past 7 years. My current position is something I'm able to do, but don't enjoy - a lot of data entry type work.

How bad would it look to go after this other position?

I don't think that it looks bad at all, especially considering that the 'new' position is also the one you initially applied for. I imagine that having someone with 7 months experience in the company would be beneficial for the 'new' position, and that it would be easier to find someone 'off the street' for your current position.

Go for it, and good luck!

ALex

It's a magical time of year in Philadelphia. Eagles training camp marks the end of another brutal season of complaining about the Phillies.

I don't know, I think I would go for it, since it's the one you were after the first time. Hiring managers of both positions would probably understand. Besides, 7 months is not that little, and it is within the same company.

Would you need a reference from your current manager? (Or is it the same hiring manager?) Do you think you would get it if it is needed? Do you think the position wouldn't go away again?

I'm pretty sure I would get a good ref. from my current manager, the main thing I'm worried about is whether or not he would actually let me take the other position. Currently I am the only one that does this job, and IU have no back up (thus I have not taken any time off for fear of falling so far behind).

The other thing I'm worried about is that position 'going away' again. Of course nowadays there's no gaurantee when it comes to that, but in my current role, being the only one to perform the function, I'm a little more sure.

the main thing I'm worried about is whether or not he would actually let me etake the other position

Their problem, not yours.

If he doesn't let you go, how long before you get a better offer from outside your company? Not letting someone move on within the company is very poor management, IMHO

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Check with HR first. Some companies do not allow internal employees to apply for other within the company unless they have been there for a year.

If you get the green light for this, then apply for the job. Wouldn't you rather have this position on your resume if it DID go away rather than the data-entry type you talked about?

Your worse case scenerio since you say there isn't a backup is that you do both jobs until they hire your replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back