Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New PDF-Excel project using VB 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

johann59

Programmer
Mar 3, 2005
US
Hi, I'm not as familiar with VB as I would like to. All my projects that I've built in the past and my programming skills are more oriented to Visual FoxPro, but my boss insists that this new project be built using VB 2008.

I have to use a mailing list of approx 100,000 records (Students) containing names and address in Excel 2007. I basically need to merge them together with 4 to 6 PDF templates.

I need to build a GUI where the user selects the corresponding PDF template and enters either a Student ID, or Student name, or Student Address (which are in the Excel file) and merges the information into the selected PDF and is able to View it, Save it and/or print the PDF.

I need to make this project portable in a way that I can burn the entire program to a DVD or CD and ship it to the University that is requesting the project.

The purpose is for the University to be able to:

a) Run the program from the DVD/CD we send to them.

b) View the PDF with the Excel merged data into it.

c) Print it (and later they will mail it to the student that requested it.)

This will be a ongoing project done on a monthly basis. A monthly DVD/CD will be created. I would like for someone to give some general ideas on how to start this project.

With my limited knowledge of VB I think my biggest hurdles will be:

1. What kind of program will I need to be able to Merge the PDF into the Excel file.

2. What kind of PDF 'printer' will the program have to have built-in to be able to Save the newly created PDF with the merged data and print PDF's.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Johann

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back