Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New PC Restart problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2013
US
I recently bought a new PC online from a reputable seller. Everything worked great for several weeks. To the items below I added a WD 2TB Hdd and a NVIDIA Ge Force GT 430 video card with 2gb.

Recently I came downstairs and saw that the screen had not gone to sleep and in fact the whole PC was locked up. Keyboard and mouse wouldn't work it wouldn't reset with the reset button and it wouldn't power off with the power switch. I has to turn it off at the power supply.
Since then it still runs ok but if I shut it down with the Windows power off, it will shut down fine but it will not power back up unless I turn off the psupply, wait and turn it back on and restart the pc.
In a few days I will unplug the HDD and remove the Video card to see if either of these is part of the problem. In the mean time does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks Ken

Thermaltake Versa H22 black, front USB 2.0 & 3.0
Intel Core i7-11700K Rocket Lake 3.6GHz (5.0GHz Turbo) Eight-Core
Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML120L RGB, extra quiet Liquid Cooling System
ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4, Onboard Video HDMI, GB LAN, USB 3.2
32GB (2x16GB) PC4-25600 DDR4 3200MHz Dual Channel
1TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO m.2 Solid State Drive, PCI-Express 4.0, 7000MB/s
ASUS 24x SATA DVD Recorder +R/RW -R/RW
All-in-One Memory Card Reader Internal USB 3.0
Realtek HD digital audio (onboard)
Ethernet network adapter 10/100/1000 (onboard)
APEVIA Prestige Series 800W Extra Quiet ATX Power Supply (6+2pin)x4
Logitech Wireless Desktop MK320 Keyboard & Optical mouse combo black
Microsoft Windows 10 PRO 64-Bit Edition (configured w/drivers and updates)
Standard assembly and test 3-5 business days

Standard assembly and test 3-5 business days" Looks like you accidentally included this. I assume you build and sell these to people?

The old adage is to look at what changes you made BEFORE the problem started. But adding a video card and a hard drive aren't big changes. You could pull the new items out and troubleshoot (properly) or you can just throw everything at it at once without pulling the new stuff.

1. BIOS update???
2. Look at all BIOS settings
3. Video card driver update
4. All driver updates
5. All Windows 10 updates
6. Set power options in control panel (no sleep, turn hard disk off after NEVER)
7. Memory test
8. Boot with a bootable Linux USB and see if the PC will run properly and shut down properly

One of the first things I would do is reset the bios, either by berg pin pull or battery removal.
If you can move the video card to a different slot, try it.
If you are overclocking, bring the settings back to the defaults.

"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
Popular Mechanics, 1949

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back