Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New PC keeps on restarting 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

torturedmind

Programmer
Jan 31, 2002
PH
I've got a new pc with the ffg. specs:
(Hardware)
Motherboard - PC400 M922 Series w/on-board sound card
CPU - Intel P4 1.6GHz
RAM - 128MB PC133
VGA Card - Riva TNT 32MB
1 HDD - 40GB

(Software)
OS - Win98SE
MSOffice 2K Pro Ed.
MSVisual Foxpro 6.0
MSVisual Basic 6.0
and a couple of cracked softwares

My problem is that it keeps on restarting at random time
intervals. In my previous Intel P3 667 MHz on an Asus
Motherboard but with a separate sound board, same other
specs (HW & SW) but it didn't give me any headaches. I've
already aske the vendor to help me set all the jumper
settings for its best performance and yet it keeps on
restarting. I really don't want to lose valuable data.
Can anyone please help me?

torturedmind [trooper]

The most common reason for this happening is a weak power supply!! Martin Please let members know if there advice has helped any.

Either your cheap 200-300 watt power supply doesn't have enough juice for all the components or your power supply is going dead and you need to replace it. If this is not the case, you might just have a weak power supply. I suggest replacing it with at least a 400 watt power supply and use a well known name brand.

Come to think of it, i remember changing its power supply
a few days back. I noticed just now when was replacing it
with the original power supply.

Thanks guys. You all deserve a star.

torturedmind [trooper]

Take it back to the vendor. If its new, it should work!

PS. Almost certainly faulty hardware - need to go through process of elimination to find what - power supply is just one such component (I'd look at memory next, but could be cpu, mobo, expansion cards etc)

I would also check and see if the cpu fan is working. If it isn't then it could be over heating the cpu and that will cause it to shut down to protect it. Look in the power management area of the control panel to see if it says restart after a certain amount of time. Is there a temp. sensor in the bios for the cpu? When was the last time you ran a full virus scan? I have had this problem before and have had it memory. Sadly enough there is a lot of reasons why it would restart on you but here are some suggestions.
Hope this helps, keep us posted.
Cindy [ponder]

I picked up a Pentium 2 computer at my local dump that had this problem. It turned out that the floppy drive was shorting out so there wasn't a complete circuit in the computer. I would keep removing components (i.e. floppy drive, cd drives) one by one util the computer works. Then contact the seller and get a new one of that component.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back