Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New patent "pending"

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverhairb

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2008
US
As bandwidth increases and the need for privacy expands, scalable solutions for cryptographic processing will be required. Cryptographic solutions must be capable of handling cryptographic processing at full-bandwidth speeds from the PC through the internet backbone. Current cryptographic processor technology does not address the extreme throughput requirements.

To address these new requirements, new scalable solutions are needed. One method that could easily be implemented to address ultra-high speed throughput is to implement a processor array. This array would process cryptographic blocks in parallel rather than serially, as is the current design. This array would utilize a process scheduler that would assign cryptographic blocks from a data stream to multiple separate processors that would process the blocks in parallel rather. For example, if 48 bytes of data required cryptographic processing using AES (16-byte target block), the data would be divided into 3 blocks and assigned to three different processors. The blocks would be reassembled in the correct sequence after the cryptographic operation. This differs from the current designs using a single processor that would process each block serially.

This type of processing may be applied on packets passing through switches from a source cryptographic scheme to a destination scheme. It may also apply to data being prepared for encrypted storage and for encrypted data being retrieved from storage.

This array processing is algorithm-independent since different algorithms could be loaded to selected processors in the array as needed.

This array scheme is scalable by adding processors to the array to handle a greater number of parallel cryptographic operations.

This array can process multiple messages concurrently by assigning cryptographic operations to unused processors.

This array is suitable for encryption, decryption, translation from one key / encryption scheme to a different key / encryption scheme.

Patent pending (provisional patent issued).

Any thoughts?

[the other] Bill

Forgot to mention....

The term "processor(s)" includes single-core processors, single cores in a multi-core processor, or an array of multi-core processors. Array = > 1 processor.

[the other] Bill

I should have said that an array is two or more processors, not than an array = more than one processor.

[the other] Bill

Looks good and makes sense to me. However, measuring FSB and BSB (north and south bridges in the Intel world), those speeds are far faster than any bandwidth. This especially hold true with SPARC's "direct bus" architecture. These must be considered, Bill.

BTW, when are we gonna play some golf?

My co-worker just introduced me to RFC 2795...lol

Also, what RFC is this? Guess I could look at my email...

/

tim@tim-laptop ~ $ sudo apt-get install windows
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package windows...Thank Goodness!

Tim... Uh, I mean Burt,

The fast bus speeds are exactly what I'm counting on to distribute the individual blocks to available processors.

I'm the kind of golfer that OSHA plans for. Everybody must wear helmets, special shatter-proof eye protection and padded protective clothing, and stand 50 feet behind me. And that's just for when I putt.

My sport is table tennis. Even then, its advisable to use protective eye wear.

[the other] Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back