Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Network setup & remote access ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike071581

IS-IT--Management
Oct 31, 2006
US
Hello,

I'm used to maintaining a large enterprise network and I'm a little embarassed to say this but I'm having trouble creating a small network.

I've been asked to setup a network for a company of 4 upeople. They will be buying a server with Windows Server 2003 and I was wondering what's the best way the handle the setup/remote access. They need a secure way and I was looking at the Netgear FVS318 for remote access. However the way I've handeled VPN access before is to have the person RDP into their workstation but these users travel and use a laptop so I don't know what to have them RDP into.

They don't NEED to have VPN, just a secure way to access their files remotely so I'm open to other suggestions as well. I've asked them to get a static IP when they sign up for internet access.

Also, mail will be hosted by a 3rd party (like Verizon FIOS) so mail hosting shouldn't be an issue. However, when I buy the server, do I need to buy a CAL for each of the 4 users who will be connecting to the folder shares? And should I just setup a workgroup for the server/computers and use the router/switch as a DHCP server? It seems like setting up a domain seems overly complicated for just 4 people and I'm probably thinking bigger then I need to be so I need some one to help 'ground' me as their budget isn't that big, it's about $2000 total.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you.

If they cary their laptops, you can do TS/RDC over VPN. If they use some one or public computer, you can try TS/RDC over WebVPN.

Demo TS/RD over VPN
To use TS over VPN, normally you need to establish VPN using the VPN ... However, with a pre-setup, you can just one-click to run TS over VPN in just one ...

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

Yes Terminal Services would be the best bet. All their docs and email could be maintained on the server that it will always be backed up. All the users would need to do is remote desktop in and work. As for a domain you can create one like "mynetwork.local".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back