Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New network installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlsonk

MIS
Jul 1, 2002
IT
I am looking to install a network from scratch. I'm thinking it is better to pick one media and stick with it for ease of training, maintenance and support. However, different media are better at different things. Within a building I'm thinking of installing the new CAT6 cable; between buildings I'm thinking of installing single mode fiber.

I want to build in future capability, but I want to be able to do minor maintenance in-house. Fiber is great, but finding people with the skills to work with it is hard and the equipment is expensive. OTH, CAT6 is new, will be more expensive than CAT5, but certainly has the headroom necessary for future growth.

So tell me: am I heading in the right direction, or am I missing something crucial?

Multimode will have cheaper electronics if the distances between computer rooms is less that 500 meters, if it is longer than that, single mode is your better bet..

perhaps a hybrid cable of each if you have need for both. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

It is relatively hard to make many of those decisions with limited information. When I design a network for someone, I consider what their current and anticpated bandwidth needs are, distance limitations between all the drops and electronics, financial limitations of the customer, scalability of the network, and much more.

Certainly installing the most current media is a good place to start. However, there are simple things that can be tricky. I can buy Cat5e that is rated at 350 Mhz for .08 cents a foot, but buying Cat6 wire (tested to 250 Mhz per the Cat6 standard) costs me .15 cents a foot. For almost double the money what am I really gaining?

Similar issues weigh in when considering fiber optics. Single mode vs. Multi Mode, which size of multimode fiber, how fast of a backdone do we need on fiber, what is the distance between the sites we are linking, how easy is it to replace the fiber later if we want to upgrade (is it all in conduit and easy to pull in a new piece), etc.

You might be miles ahead getting someone to design you a network that meets your needs all the way around. Also, there are several books (though some may be dated) regarding LAN design and implementation.

Good Luck!
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back