Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New network hardware detection software for Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2006
US
I was looking for a tool for my Windows network, similar to ARPWatch for UNIX.

I basically want a program that will monitor the network and email me when a new hardware device is detected on the network. The email would include information like the MAC, NetBIOS name, etc. I would also like the ability to "approve" that hardware before it can either get an IP address or access the network.

Can you please recommend something for Windows along these lines, please?

Thanks in advance.

While I'm not aware of software to do this, you can always use MAC locking, if you've got managed switches?

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

If yours is a home network, Network Magic can do that. It will display an alert (and, I think you can configure it to e-mail you if there is an intruder).

Tibi gratias agimus quod nihil fumas.

When you are talking Windows Network, are you talking about a Windows domain? If so, why allow anyone to add hardware/software on the PC's without administrative rights (and not allow adding to the domain without domain admin rights)? As far as not adding to the domain, I think Grenage's idea about MAC filtering is a great idea as well.

To user TFG13: It is a Windows Domain, but I'm not referring to adding computers specifically to the domain. I'm looking beyond the domain. If you read my OP, I stated I wanted something to monitor the network and notify when a "new hardware device is detected on the network". Something "similar to ARPWatch for UNIX", except for Windows.

For example, you cannot stop people from bringing in a personal laptop and attaching it to the network. Although our polices and procedures state new equipment has to be cleared with IT, we all know this isn't always the case. Therefore, I want something to notify me when a new hardware device gets attached that isn't already logged in our hardware database. Then we can be aware of potential risks and threats.

FYI:

On a different forum, I was referred to a program called Look@LAN: I've also emailed their Sales Department and they state this software will do what we are looking for.

MAC filtering would be a better solution, as most switches/routers support this configuration, and it's free. The issue I see with the "monitoring" solution you are looking for is if it's detected by a monitoring suite, it could already be too late, and you could have some nasties already on/in/adjusting your network. Better to be proactive then reactive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back