Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Network Connection problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

koquito

IS-IT--Management
Jun 17, 2002
US
HI fellows..
this is my problem..
I've Win Xp Pro on my laptop and as usual I need to move from one location to the other. Diferent locations have diffrent network settings to connect to their respective LANs.
I have a local area Connection, and what I'm trying to do is make a copy (or create a new one)of this connection so I can modify the settings and use each of this new connections, depending on the site I'm working at the momment by enabling or disablling them.
The thing is that everytime a try to create a new connection (I've tried all different options), it goes through the whole process but at the end nothing happens. It does nothing and leave me with the same connections I already have.
What could be the cause of this problem?
Any help would be appreciated.
A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

"I just know that I know nothing"
Socrates (469-399 B.C.E.)

Why not use the hardware profiles so that you can have a different profile for each site you go to.

I know Windows Xp, and Windows 2000 can do what I want without changing the profile. You can make copies or New connections, as many as you want, and then disble them or enable as needed. The thing is, it wont do it in mine..
Thanks anyways A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Koquito,

Are you sure? You don't get option to set up second LAN connection for NIC that already has a connection set up (well, not on my machines). Or are you talking about different kind of connection?

what I'm trying to do is what in Xp is called a Bridge Connection, using my Local LAn connection. I go through the whole process of creating a new connection, but fter I click finish, absolutely nothing, even if I restart, nothing happens.
I have beng trying to make a BRidge Between my LAn and my 1394 and it tells me, an unexpected error ocurred while configuring the network bridge.Nothing appears on the event viewer.
In my friend's computer it just make the bridge after finish.
This is kind of weird. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

If you have the internet connection firewall box checked under the advance tab of your network connection it cannot be a part of a network bridge.
There must be at least two network adapters installed in the computer in a bridge.
The Network Setup Wizard creates network bridges only on computers running Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home Edition.

I found the following University URL that might shed some light on your problem. Can't say as I totally understand the issue but they do mention no firewalling or shared adapters.

This one describes the process:

However, it should be noted that they always speak of a wireless and a wired LAN connection.

Hope this sheds some light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back