Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New NEC SL1100 - Link two distant switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPNMRK

MIS
Apr 28, 2012
US
My understanding is that we can install an SL1100 system in two locations in different buildings/cities and then connect them together over IP (Internet) making the two locations behave as if they were on the same PBX. In other words, every extension in both locations can have DSS for every other extension regardless of its location. Is this correct? If so, this is fine for intercom and call transfer.

But what about CO lines? Can extensions in one location have DSS for the CO lines on the distant system the same way they do for local CO lines? We need a way for people in one location to be aware that an outside line is ringing in the other location so they can answer it, if necessary. If this is not possible, what other options are there?

I suppose we could just make all extensions in one location IP phones off the single system in the other location. But since most call activity in one location is limited to that same location, that kind of solution wouldn't be very efficient or reliable.

Thank you.

It all comes down to how calling patterns, you don't say how far apart the two systems would be, resilience should also be a big decider but ultimately cost will be the big decider.

For resilience I would have CO lines on both sites and link the two together via IP but that will be costly, two SL1100 switches to buy, duplication of resources etc.

For cost I would think about a single SL1100 with a UPS at one site and IP the remote site extensions? Whichever is the main site/most users may help decide where to place the switch as well?

The cost between the two options isn't significant.

My understanding is that if we have CO lines in both locations terminating in two separate SL1100 switches and tie the two systems together via IP, the CO lines in one location cannot have DSS on the extension sets of the other system. Is that right?

Wouldn't have thought so, two different systems.

Decisions, Decisions ???

Maybe you could have a couple of pots lines on the router at the remote end for local breakout??

Hi
The way you link the two systems together is to install IP cards in each system and setup SIP trunks between the two systems

I would recommend doing this via a LAN to LAN

Change the extension numbering on one system to say 1XX and leave the other at 2XX

And the set F route to route the calls over the sip trunks.

This will allow you to dial desk to desk but this all you can get if you require more features you will need to use the NEC sv8100 systems instead if you wanted to stay with the NEC brand

My preference I would use the Avaya IP office systems I work on both NEC systems and the Avaya IP office and I think this would be a better option in my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back