Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New NAS Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadgerBrian

Technical User
Apr 5, 2004
US
Hi,

Im pretty new to Nas's so bear with me... jut need some advise

We are a post production video company that moves a ton of data around from video editing suites all the time.
We use all types of Os's on our computers consisting of Linux Suse 9.0, Win 2003, win XP, and MAc os9 and Mac osx

We needed a soloution as a file server for all these different file systems to be able to upload and drop off video and audio files to. (it also has to be very reliable.)

We recently recieved a new NAS device from a company called maximum throughput.
We have a raid 5 2 tb storage system connected via fibre channels.
The system is a Dell Powerdedge - it came pre configured with red hat 7 -
All we had to do is log into the system via a web browser and begin setting up the storage system , however we ran into a problem with the WINS setup, in order to map network drives.
Our 3 Domain Controllers are both server 2003 and 2000 however will soon be all 2003.
we have Win s running on the 2003 dc as a service however when we try to connect we get authentification errors.
However when we connect to the 2000 DC it connects fine.
We have come to the understanding that the samba is incompatiable with our 2003 servers - this is a problem because we will soon have just 2003 sevrers.
If the company we bought it from is unable to rectify this by updating the OS we are interested in getting a new soloution....

Any ideas - as far as the NAS controller, should we stick with a dell???or is there something better?
Do they provide a seperate raid storage system as well?
we need at least 2tb and it must be fibre channel or scsi
( would there be a major difference in speed if we went to scsi?)
I have also heard Win 2003 storage system enterprise edition would be a good choice as an OS and is compatiable with all the file services we require.

Please any ideas would greatly be appreciated

thanks

Hi BadgerBrian,

I noticed that you move data.

I though this might interest you.

Rainfinity has a RainStorage product that allows data movement without downtime. Clients and programs continue to access data while it is being moved and there is no need for scheduled downtime.

I've used RainStorage to move NFS and CIFS files on Ethernet and it works great - you can move files from one server to another while customers are accessing the files and no downtime is needed - the clients don't even know the files are being moved! I've moved files in the daytime with RainStorage.

Let me know if I can answer any specific questions.

Regards,
Jim

Jim P. Ames
jimpames@hotmail.com

You need samba 3.0 to connect to Win2K3 domain with updated kerberos libraries and other libraries also.

There are lots of different NAS solutions, as well as maintaining your on server (Linux / Win / Mac Server)

>---------------------------------------Lawrence Feldman
SR. QA. Engineer SNAP Appliance
lfeldman@snapappliance.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back