Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Multifunction Panel won't allow Windows XP to boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

bkirkpatrick

Programmer
Dec 8, 2003
US
I bought a multifunction card reader (5.25 inch bay, 3 USB ports, SATA port, multi card, and sound) and installed it as I have with numerous other hardware in the past. Here is the problem, the computer boots but then hangs after it detects my hard drives. I can't get into the BIOS or anything.

However, when I unplug the USB multifunction connector that connects the device to my motherboard and reboot, the computer reboots into windows. Once Windows is loaded, I can plug the USB connector back into my motherboard and the multifunction reader works as it should (no prompts for drivers). Now, when I restart the computer, it hangs again after it detects my hard drives. Unplug the UBS motherboard connector from the card reader to the motherboard and reboot and it boots fine. I have tried my four USB motherboard ports/connectors and the same thing happens. Any ideas?

go into the BIOS and check your BOOT ORDER, make sure that the HDD (with XP) is the first device or second (if you prefer to have the CD-ROM first)...

Windows assigns drive letters as they are presented by the BIOS to the OS... these get scrambled when you attach a multi-reader...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I only have it set to boot from the HD in Bios. Also, what I forgot to mention is that it will finally boot but it takes about 4-5 minutes just to get me to my XP login screen. So in theory it does boot but just takes a very very long time.

I disabled the Legacy USB and it now boots fine. Wish the instructions would have mentioned that. Thanks, Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back