Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Motherboard - Peripheral Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ngxGraz

Technical User
Jun 22, 2007
CA
Hey guys, i built a computer from scratch, and got most of it working pretty easily, however, I don't have sound (and it's not just sound doesn't work... I get errors in itunes and WMP saying i don't have a sound mixer) and my onboard ethernet adapter isn't working.
it's a new gigabyte mother board (not sure exact model.. wait until i get home from work)
I enabled ethernet and ethernet ROM in the bios (but i don't even know what the ROM one means) and onboard sound is set to auto. I popped in the cd and installed the realtek audio thing, and saw two drivers for ethernet, but didn't know which, but i installed them too. in my network connections it only shows firewire (which i then disabled in the bios) and my dlink wireless (which i plan on moving to another computer so *I* get to take advantage of the speed of a direct connection) any have an issue like this? could it be a defective mobo?

Thanks in advance.

They can always be defective, but this looks more like a driver problem. Can you see anything under some "Unknown Devices" branch in Device Manager window? Such as a certain "PCI Device" with a yellow question mark? You need to install Microsoft UAA Bus Driver before installing any High Definition Audio driver in most cases.

I got it on my own, but you pretty much nailed it.
I had three devices with yellow question marks, pci stuff, and one other. For my sound i had installed the realtek but i needed to installed the high def too, which fixed it, and for the network, I couldn't find what i needed on the cd, so i went to the gigabyte website and downloaded the ethernet driver there, and that worked too. Everything is working great now. I just hope to have no issues when i hook up my other monitor :) (My video card has dual DVI)

Glad you sorted it out. Driver discs that come with the package are untrustworthy at best, especially when we're talking about laptops. Many times we end up looking for a driver online.

Good to know for next time. Again, thanks a lot.

You might want to download Belarc Advisor @ It will give you detailed info about your computer i.e., OS, Circuit board, drives and more. It's helpful in finding the mfgr. for updating drivers.
Hope this is a help in future.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back