Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New motherboard - now cdroms not recognized properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate901

Technical User
Nov 27, 2001
US
Just installed MSI model MS-6378 motherboard (w-AMD Duron 650)in existing system. Win98 (1st edition) op system. Now cdrom drives not showing up in System Devices listof CntrlPnl-System. Drives showed up properly with old motherboard. When first booted up new motherboard and noticed drives didn't show up in Win Explorer I added the line MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD000 /V /M:12 to autoexec.bat (which was not needed before-??) then I noticed the drives being assigned drive letters on bootup and consequently showing up in Win Explorer but not in System Devices list. Maybe I need to do Add-Hardware and reinstall the proper drivers but these are plug and play drives and I didn't get drivers when I bought them. One of the drives is a writer WPI CDRW-4424 and other is Hitachi 7930 reader. Thanks.

do a refresh on the sytem properties part of system info if it does not detect try booting in safe mode and going into the devices field and you might see the drives listed if you do delete them and reboot that should make them show up

You probably need to load new IDE controller drivers- chances are the controller in the new MB is NOT the same as in the old one. Try undoing the autoexec.bat changes you made and then delete the IDE controllers through device manager. Reboot and let the system redetect it. Your MB should have come with a driver disk for this.

nate901,
since you added the mobo to an existing load of windows, your best bet would be to go into safe mode, blow out all of your devices in device manager and reboot.
It sounds like some of the old drivers are conflicting with the new ones.
My expierence has been, any time there are more than once instance of drivers for a piece of hardware, there are going to be problems.
Blowing all of them out and starting all over would be your best bet to clear up the drives not showing up.

Scott

Thanks guys for your suggestions. I reviewed them and tried the simple things first, that being grygst76's suggestions. It looked like it would work at first. The other info you all provided helps me understand the reason for the problem. I won't go into the gorey details, especially since no one might reply at this point, but I'm not out of the woods yet. Bottom line is I should have done a little rezearch before changing the motherboard and I would have done some registry preparation first. I found some other websites that talked about deleting all the ENUM keys from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE as a way of totally wiping out the Device Manager settings. Some other brute-force suggestions that have been educational. All I have to say is computers sure can be a pain in the you know what.

Hi Nate,

I had a similar problem. Changed Motherboard but kept 2 older CD roms. System could not find them. Fooled me for a few days (cockpit error!).

My problem turned out to be in the new bios (AWARD) that came with the motherboard. Newer bios bootstraps read the "type" of CDRom installed and display it on the 1st page of setup, exactly as they do with Hard Drive ID.

What I had to do to get my CDRoms to be recognized by the system is to set these readings to "NONE" (for the CDRoms only!!) Later, I found this in the "fine print" of the Motherboard book.

Good Luck,

Daldous

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back