Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Motherboard not finding Floppy drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielLee

Technical User
Jan 26, 2002
MX
Hi,
I just changed my motherboard to a PV4MM2 with a Pentium 4 1.6 GHz CPU and the A drive is not working. Everything else seems to be ok but the A drive is how I transfer information from my desktop to my main computer so I need to get it working.

The little light on the outside of the case for the A drive stays on all the time.

When I try to use it freezes up/crashes my computer and sometimes makes me restore my active desktop.

I have checked the settings in the Set up Utility, which is set to 1.44 MB 3.5 inch.

There is no indication of a problem in the Device Manager under Generic NEC Floppy disk. I updated the driver but it says the best driver is already installed. Same goes for the Floppy disk controller.

There is not a whole lot about it in the Manual for the Motherboard.
Any suggestions? Any assistance appreciated.

Sincerely,
Daniel
"Five minutes at a time"

Hello Daniel,
The floppy drive light staying on indicates that the data cable is reversed either at the floppy drive or on the M/B.
It is easy to mess up on this if the connectors on the cable do not have a raised plug on the outside of the connector to fit in a slot in the guides that they fit in. The number 1 pin of the cable is identified by a coloring (usually red) on the edge of the cable. This should be connected on the power plug side of the floppy. Your M/B manual should give the # 1 oin location on the M/B itself.
Hope this helps,
dinkyus

Dinkyus is correct for the majority of floppies but it should be noted that on some floppiy drives, particularly newer ones Pin 1 is not the closest to the power plug but the other way round, use trial and error to determine if it is not marked, no harm will come from incorrect hookup.

Hi,
I got it fixed. I ignored the alognment tab and inserted the plug the "wrong way" and that did it.

Thank you for your assistance!

Daniel "Five minutes at a time"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back