Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Motherboard, Frozen Tiled Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidunot

Programmer
Feb 26, 2011
US
Hello,
I recently had to replace my motherboard in my pc. I was one I put together myself back in 2006. Upon putting everything together it seemed to run just fine, but after about ten minutes, the pc froze gave me a tiled screen made of a small strip of whatever image is on the screen. I then reboot my computer only for it to do again. I had googled for any clues on why this was happening, then read that whenever a new motherboard is installed you have to do a fresh install of windows so the old motherboard drivers don't conflict with the new ones. That isn't really an option for me since a lot of my software is and was school loaned and I can't quite get it back, like Cinema 4D. I search for was around it and found a few. I have done all of them except using the repair feature on the Windows CD because the pc freezes every time it gets close to the end of the installing devices part. The has cause me to believe that it is a hardware problem and not a conflict within the OS. My PC specs are

Mobo: ECS GeForce6100PM-M2 AM2/AM2+ Socket
CPU: Athlon X2 Dual-Core 6000+ 3.0GHz
RAM: Crucial DDR2 800MHz 1GBx2=2GB
PSU: DiabloTek DA series 600W ATX running at 115V
HDD: Western Digital 160GB SATA - Main
Western Digital 500GB IDE - Secondary
CD/DVD: ATAPI iHAS124 A

Everything is from when I first built except for the PSU, Mobo, and Secondary HDD. I just got PSU and Mobo, and i got the second HDD a year after I made it.

Can anyone tell me whats wrong? I really need this PC for school because I can't compile programs on my netbook.

Also my old Mobo and PSU was a BioStar TForce1600 AM2 and LogiSys 550W. I change my PSU because I believed it was the original reason my PC stopped operating to begin with.

The AMD X2 6000+ is an extremely power hungry and HOT CPU, I'm wondering if this is heat related.
Did you clean off and re-apply the heatsink paste (good quality silver based) Arctic silver etc.
Is the heatsink/fan up to the job of cooling this CPU and is it properly cleaned out?
Is there good circulation in your case.
Have you connected all the power leads needed for this CPU and motherboard. 12+12 24 pin etc etc
Have you checked the temperatures in bios?

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Heatsink Paste, nope never heard of it and by clean off do you mean the tape like residue.

I'm using 24-pin power connector plus 4-pin support and i had clean out the heatsink/fan last night thoroughly with q-tips and pipecleaners it almost looks new if it wasn't for the tape like residue on the underside

The 'tape like residue' was probably a heat sink tape pre-attached. I recommend you get a tube of silver heat sink paste, clean the surfaces of the processor and heatsink gently. Then smear a thing covering of paste to the processor surface and reinstall the heatsink - obviously making sure it is making intimate contact.

Note it should be a thin smear and not big blobs.

Regards: Terry

I put the thermal paste on 15 minutes ago and started up the repair process on my pc and it still froze before finishing the installing devices process. Is there a wait time on how long it take to set in?

it still froze before finishing the installing devices process.
sounds like a hardware fault, other than the CPU, to me...

I would suggest:

try another graphics card,,,

remove ALL extra devices, such as other PCI cards, leave just the one HDD in the machine that you are going to install to, and if those steps are futile, then RMA the mainboard and get another...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back