Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New monitor screens flickering and jumping 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

voisey

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2006
GB
Hi. I wonder if anyone can help with my issue

I have recently purchased two new HP Display 22er monitors as my previous ones had more or less died. They seem to be fine but for one thing. Every so often one of the screens will suddenly go blank and display nothing whilst the other will flicker – just a black screen. This only lasts momentarily and in that time the content of the first screen will jump to the second screen including all desktop icons. Seconds later the first screen appears again but at a larger resolution for a second or two and then rights itself with the icons returning to their original position with the second screen returning to normal as well.

The screens are both set to 1920 x 1080 resolution which is recommended.

My system – as per BeLarc Advisor:

• Win 10 (x64) (build 15063) on a bespoke system
• Main circuit board ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC/ MAXIMUS VII RANGER Rev 1.xx
• 16GB memory
• Processor 3.60 gigahertz Intel i7-4790
• Display NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650

I’m not really computer savvy but know enough to plug peripherals in and set up my home network i.e. get my and my wife’s laptops to print to the printers

Any thoughts would be welcome before I get a local tech into check them out. The problem with that is that the jumping etc is randomly happening. It can be hours before it happens

Chris
AKA Voisey

First thing I would try is swapping the monitors around,swap cables at the monitor side, if the symptom stays the same look to a video card or driver issue.Try downloading the latest driver from Nvidia? Could also be a weak power supply or bad cables. If issue follows the monitor, it is a bad monitor.

Hi rclarke250
Thanks for the advice which I will certain follow - seems obvious when someone tells you doesn't it!!!

Hi again rclarke250. Just an update as your advice and guidance was most beneficial.
I swapped the monitor leads and the problem followed the lead. The lead in question was connected to the graphics card's DVI outlet via an adaptor. I purchased a replacement adaptor and problem has disappeared.

Thanks again I appreciated you advice.

Chris
aka Voisey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back