Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new member :) looking for help with chat history

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitar5

Technical User
Jan 27, 2006
US
Hi,
I am hoping this is the right forum to ask this question. If not please redirect me to right forum.

I am trying to find info on chat records kept on computer hard drive. There were some issues with kids on this computer using for chat. Since this came up have been receiving phone calls obscene in nature from unknown individuals that concern me. All access to computer is now denied to anyone without my permission but, I do have need to investigate chat records.

Does the hard drive hold records of on line chat? Are they accessible and how? This is somewhat important to find out for my family so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,

The hard drive *can* hold records of online chat. This is usually only possible if the instant messenging software has the 'logging' function enabled.
Which IM software was it?

Have you tried
1) *69 if you live in the US to check the last dialed number
2) Referring to the authorities?

"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare. I came out of it dead broke, without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of UNIX."
"Well, that's something," Avi says. "Normally those two are mutually exclusive."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon"

Also, if you want to block the calls, you can get "anonymous call blocking", which will block any call with their caller ID disabled. This will usually block obscene callers like this because they can only call if they give you their ID information. Of course they could call from a pay phone or something, but it will make it less convenient for them.

And make sure you have a caller ID box that records names and numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back