Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New MCSE track?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebully

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2005
GB
I have read about the new MCP tracks MCTS and MCITP etc but am wondering if there is going to be a new set of MCSA/MCSE exams for Vista when it is finally released or if they are going to be retiring the MCSE and replacing it with something new?

I mean does it look like theres going to be an MCSE Windows Vista and exams to upgrade an MCSE in 2003 Server like there is with Windows 2000?

There will not be an MCSE for Windows Vista. There will be an MCTS and MCITP for Windows Vista (possible more than one of each). There should be some sort of upgrade from MCSA and MCSE to there new MCTS and MCITP exams just like there is from MCDBA to MCITP Database Administrator.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Its good to hear that they are intending to create upgrade exams. I am thinking of doing MCDBA SQL Server 2000 after I have completed my MCSE because alot of my MCSE exams will count towards it meaning I will only need to take the SQL exams.

Will be great to be able to upgrade to Vista certification without having to take as many exams again.

thebully said:
Will be great to be able to upgrade to Vista certification without having to take as many exams again.
I take it that you're referring to the client OS portion of the MCSA/MCSE.

There will be another server release in the future, codenamed "Longhorn Server" when last I checked. When released, this will probably initiate another MCSA/MCSE upgrade path as Windows 2000-Windows 2003 did. Vista will probably count as one of the choices toward the client OS exam, but Windows XP may also.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

Thats exactly what I mean, maybe not Vista then but Microsofts next server OS release after Vista. I take it they are releasing one although most of the changes between XP and Vista are graphical apart from them changing the location and name nearly everything we have come to be familer with ;)

I am using Vista RC2 atm on my main desktop basically it looks nice so I am happy using it for my day to day browsing when I get home from work. :p

I was getting a bit annoyed that Vista is going to be released a couple of weeks after getting my MCSA when I am still working towards my MCSE in 2003 Server. But you have just reminded me Vista isnt a Server OS.

According to Wikipedia Windows XP was released on October 25th 2001 and 2003 Server on April 24 2003. Hopefully we have a couple of years before MS release the next Server OS then and need to start looking at upgrading.

Thanks

thebully said:
I am using Vista RC2 atm on my main desktop basically it looks nice so I am happy using it for my day to day browsing when I get home from work. :p
RC2 is nice looking. Symantec products won't run on it, and I won't run it on my desktop without an antivirus. That's me though.

thebully said:
But you have just reminded me Vista isnt a Server OS.
It could be considered a client OS. Microsoft hasn't announced any exams for Vista AFAIK.

thebully said:
According to Wikipedia Windows XP was released on October 25th 2001 and 2003 Server on April 24 2003. Hopefully we have a couple of years before MS release the next Server OS then and need to start looking at upgrading.
It's not like the world changes overnight. Keep working on that MCSE 2003 and it will still be worth something once the next iteration of Server comes out.

Wishdiak
A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA: Security 2003

The first Vista workstation exam is just going beta now. That exam probably won't be RTM for another 3-4 months at least (I' guessing).

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000) / MCTS (SQL 2005) / MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005)

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)
[noevil]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back