Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Logon Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyshriver

Technical User
Dec 25, 2004
US
2 years ago, I became a network admin for a company that uses a Citrix box to allow remote users access to apps. The box is a Win2KSP4 running Terminal Server. The version of Citrix is MFPS4.0. There are 5 TS licenses (we do not have many remote users) and ditto Citrix licenses. Everything has been running fine for the last 2 years - until 2 days ago.

The first complaint I received was that users were trying to log on and the message "Running Logon Scripts" would display and never go away. Then, users were complaining that they could not print. Following the advice of Citrix forums, I changed the logon for the Citrix SMA and Print Manager services from .\ctx_smasuser to Local Machine. That accomplished nothing, so I switched that back to the original. Not knowing the password for the .\ctx_smasuser account, I reset the password and then restarted those two services. I then read Citrix KB article CTX107433 that said that I should edit the the HKLM_Software_Microsoft_WindowsNT_CurrentVersion_Winlogon key so that Appstart would have the value data, "cmstart.exe". I did not make any permissions mods. I did delete all of the printers that had been installed statically (someone's attempt at mapping drivers?). I was then able to log on (my account has admin credentials) with no problem.

This morning, I was advised that users were receiving the message, "You do not have access to this session" when trying to log on. I found an article stating that the Users group should be added to the permissions in Terminal Services Connection Manager. After doing that, two users were able to log in. The third user (remember, we have 5 TS CALs) received the message that he was unable to log in because the number of TS connections had been exceeded.

I think I first went astray when I changed the 2 Citrix services to Local Machine logon rather than keeping the original ctx_smauser (along with changing the password). Now that I have incurred the wrath of the remote users, I need to figure out how to get things back to normal. PLEASE HELP!!

Andy

sorry its a little late but have any of your users bought new printers, i know its a strange question but we have had similar issues in the past, are they using citrix desktops or just applications, What kind of login scripts are you using ?

Actually, I get the Moron of the Year award. TS was in Remote Admin mode, rather than Application Server mode. I am not sure how I got it into RA mode, but the Security event log shows that I was the one who did it! We're all fixed now!

Happy Holidays!!

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back