Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Linux Requirement for configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashley75

Technical User
Oct 4, 2002
US
Hi all,

I have a question about Linux Advance server 2.1. my company need to buy a new box and I am not a Linux Admin Guru b/c I am Oracle DBA. Any way, I used the same methodology from Windows and apply to Linux and it might not work so I need your advise. The question is: Is it possible for me to buy a server with two hard drive let say one 36G drive which I will put Linux O/S and one 73G drive and that will store the DATA files. Is it possible??? and How it works???

2. Can I get two 36 G hard drive and run RAID1 for these 2 for O/S and the other 73G for datafiles, is it possible????

can someone explain to me how Linux work???

thanks

Hi Ashley75,
Yes you can RAID (Mirror) a pair of disks for your OS and have another disk for (I'll assume raw) your Oracle data, although I would have thought that you might be better mirroring your data disks too for resilience?

As for "How Linux works" well that could take some time to explain (well if I tried anyway). If this is to be a production server, then I would think you realy need to get some training first if you are going to be the sysadmin!!

It will do your boss, company or yourself no good with a poorly administered server (apart from the security aspect) and I would have thought with your skills as a DBA you should'nt have any problem grasping the concepts behind Unix/Linux with a little guidance.

I hope this helps a little ?

Good Luck,
Laurie.

thanks for your reply and advises.

this is only for testing so we won't care much for rendanduncy, the reason I raised the question about RAID 1 on O/S b/c Linux Advance server 2.1 is not running on the kind of server I have so I have to add the RAID in there.

anyhow, thanks so much

I see no flaws in the idea (raid1, etc). With just a little advice and training from someone who knows what they're doing you'd be well on your way.

It's worth the time investment- who knows where else the knowledge will be useful, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back