Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New IP address assignments from ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quarm

IS-IT--Management
Feb 6, 2002
GB
Hi there,

I will be switching ISPs soon and have been given static IP addresses to configure on Server. Where exactly to do these changes have to be made to avoid any network conflicts? As far as I can see WINS and DNS are running fine. But there is a problem with DHCP server, its basically failing to to connect at all. I checked services and it has been disabled by windows and failed to start up when server was rebooted.
How are clients able to connect to DHCP server when on the client machine DHCP is enabled and is using DHCP server?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Q.

Imagination is the only weapon we have in the war against reality.

Okay, so you have 2 issues.

1. Typically your IP is entered on your router, not the server itself. Do you have a router?

2. "But there is a problem with DHCP server, its basically failing to to connect at all." What does this mean? Are you workstations getting IP address, and are they working ok? Perhaps its possible dhcp is running on the router, and not on your server.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Hey, thanks for the swift response.

1. We have a Draytek router. I should have elaborated, we have been given a static IP for router already from new ISP , but there is a range of IP addresses given from start to finish. Are those ranges implemented on Router as well? Do I have to make changes in any other server application?

2. When I say its failing to connect, I mean I attempt to connect to a server by manually clicking in the application. I then get a message that says 'Unable to connect to Server', (or an IP address). I'll check exactly what is said tomorrow.

Thanks.

Q.

Imagination is the only weapon we have in the war against reality.

Couple of things:

1) As was mentioned, you would normally have only your router with an ISP supplied IP address. You should not need to change any IPs in your local network. Especially if you are running DHCP. Additionally, I would expect that your local IP address range are like: 192.168.?.? or 10.?.?.? indicating private IPs.

2) Generally, an ISP will charge more for static IP addressing and even more for multiple IP addresses. You normally would not need to have ANY static IP address unless you needed connectivity through the internet to your internal network.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back