Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Instance of MSSQL 2005 Express - instance number?

Status
Not open for further replies.

northrd

Programmer
May 18, 2003
AU
I wish to add "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.x\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe" to the firewall list of exceptions where "x" is the number of the instance. How do I determine the instance number during installation?
For reference I am using innosetup.

Hi,

I'm not sure what innosetup is (I could just be missing something), but usually it'll just install in sequential order. There's one box I've worked on, and it has SQL Standard, in directory MSSQL.1, and a separate instance of express which is in directory MSSQL.2

HTH,

Doc Tree

Correct, they will simply install in order.

If you install SQL and SSAS then Express SQL will be .1, SSAS will be .2 and Express will be .3.

You can look at the path to the file in the path to the service to get the actual path and the number of the folder.

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0: Configuration / Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007: Configuration)
MCITP Database Administrator (SQL 2005) / Database Developer (SQL 2005)

My Blog

The most reliable way of getting the number of an Instance is to look it up in the registry by name. Just look at this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\Instance Names\SQL

The values should be straight-forward for you to find the instance numbers you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back