Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwfilho

IS-IT--Management
Mar 26, 2001
BR
First, I'm sorry about my english !!! I'm brasilian and I don't speak english, I just read it.
I have an Exchange Server 5.5 SP3 running in a very "instable" Windows NT4.0 SP6. Because this "Instable" S.O. I will install my Exchange in another SERVER. The last Administrator was a idiot that didn't know what he was doing.
This Server didn't have a single Backup, the NT backup don't work properly, don't recognize DAT device and the instable S.O. could not repair it.
My ArcServe haven't a Exchange Backup Agent, so... I think that I need make a OFFLINE backup.
The Exchange Server is running well yet.
The first question: What Service Pack should I download ?? The SP Microsoft Page has a lot of files to download and I need to know what the principal files I should install.
The second question: How can I do this offline backup correctly ??? I find a lot of whitepapers about offline backup but... Are there a better way to my case ??

Thanks in advance,

Regards

Wellington

don't worry about your English...I only know the one language and I struggle with that!!!

Download SP4. Stop all your exchange services and use NTBACKUP or any other backup application you have. Without an agent running the IS will be skipped!!

If you ever restore you'll need the isinteg -patch setting as you are restoring an OFFLINE BACKUP.

try this URL for the servicepack :

checkout these articles on using NTBACKUP :

Q152313 &
hope this helps

if ntbackup won't work, try using the SAME SPs as you currently have (SP6, SP3). Stop the Exchange services and copy the priv, pub and dir files from the main exchange server folder. Copy them to the new server, run isinteg -patch. Start the services and check the database. Make sure you create the same org, site and server!

If that does not work, use eseutil.

This way you are not making an unstable OS even worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back