Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcarroll

MIS
Jun 7, 2004
US
I am attaching a AIX5.2 server to our SAN (Clariion 4700) and am having some problems.

I have the navisphere agent, clariion drivers, and powerpath 3.0.4.2 installed.

I can see the two hdisks:
hdisk10 Available 14-08-01 FC CLArray RAID 5 Disk Group
hdisk11 Available 11-08-01 FC CLArray RAID 5 Disk Group

But do not see any hdiskpower devices.
Have I missed a step somewhere?

I try "powermt config" but that doesn't do anything for me.

Mid Ohio Valley Linux Users Group
- Geek Forum Rocks!
Check out the Linux Coffee Cup!

use cfgmgr, it would create the hdispower for you... in AIX you *must* use cfgmgr, not powermt config directly.

There is a emc_cfgmgr script provided by emc (of course).

BTW, did you install the CLArrayS3.5.2.0.7 (this is in utility kit for AIX). You need it in order to use powerpath.

I have installed CLArrayS3.5.2.0.7
And I have also run cfgmgr to no avail.

August 4th 2004 Meeting - Securing Linux

powermt display dev=all

gives me the following output:
Device(s) not found.

I cannot find emc_cfgmgr on the server anywhere.

did you install powerpath for AIX 5.2?? may be you install the wrong package... (may be powerpath for aix 4.3.3?)

another thing is to activate the hdiskpower... try the following: vreate a vg in the hdiskX, then run "cfgmgr" and (if no hdiskpower) "powermt config"

emc_cfgmgr could be get from ftp.emc.com

Cheers.

ftp://ftp.emc.com/pub/symm3000/aix/ODM_DEFINITIONS/emc_cfgmgr.sh

Hi Bcarroll!

I noticed that you might need to move data around while attaching the AIX 5.2 server to the SAN.

I though this might interest you.

Rainfinity has a RainStorage product that allows data movement without downtime. Clients and programs continue to access data while it is being moved and there is no need for scheduled downtime.

I've used RainStorage to move NFS and CIFS files on Ethernet and it works great - you can move files from one server to another while customers are accessing the files and no downtime is needed - the clients don't even know the files are being moved! I've moved files in the daytime with RainStorage.

Let me know if I can answer any specific questions.

Regards,
Jim

Jim P. Ames
jimpames@hotmail.com

jimpames: what the heck are you doing??? selling something!!??? this in not for selling.

I figured out that you post the same sh@t in several forums, don't do that... I don't want to "red flag" you.

I called EMC tech support and solved the problem.
We have to manually turn failover on in the navisphere cli.
after that the hdiskpower device is available.

I am now having trouble creating a vg on the hdiskpower0 device.

Here is the error:

/home/root-->mkvg -y db2vg01 -s 64 hdiskpower0
0516-862 mkvg: Unable to create volume group.

fmsprdb5 /home/root-->lspv
hdisk0 00093b5feeecd919 rootvg active
hdisk1 00093b5f2b22d52f rootvg active
hdisk10 none None
hdisk11 none None
hdiskpower0 none None

hmmm.. ok, did you do it via smit? you must to activate the hdiskpower in order to create VGs...

there is an option in smit in order to activate (put a serial number to the disk) after that you can create the VG.

Pls, try it.

I have tried creating a volume group via smit, with the same results.

0516-1182 mkvg Open Failure on hdiskpower0.
0516-862 mkvg: Unable to create volume group.

Which option in smit are you refering to? (put a serial number to the disk)

lqueryvg returns error: 0516-024 mkvg: Unable to open physical volume.

1) Check using 'lspv' that the disk has a valid pvid.

2) Check if there is a lock on the device.

How do I clean up stale pdisk entries in AIX that are preventing creating a volume group?
To determine if stale pdisk entries are causing the above described problem, use inq or lsdev -Cc disk to identify all the hdisks that are type SSA. Then use the the command:
# ssaxlate -l [hdiskn]
where [hdiskn] is the SSA hdisk number to be translated. This will result in a list of pdisk numbers for the SSA hdisk.
After accounting for all the active SSA disk drives, the remaining pdisk numbers that do not appear to be associated with active drives must be removed per the following procedure..
1) rmdev -dl [hdiskpowerN] (assuming powerpath is installed, where [hdiskpowerN] are the devices which are experiencing the problem)
2) rmdev -dl [hdiskN] (where [hdiskN] are the devices associated with [hdiskpowerN])
3) rmdev -dl [pdiskN] (where [pdiskN] are the pdisk devices determined to be un-associated to real SSA hdisk devices)
4) cfgmgr
At this point cfgmgr will have written a PVID on the hdisk if the problem has been resolved.
5) powercf -q (only if powerpath 1.5 or below)
6) powermt config

BTW, do you have more AIX systems connected to this clariion? are U running HACMP in your hosts? may be the device is marked as used by a previous VG (with another system)...

Hope this helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back