Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New installation of SMS 2003 - clients from another site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 17, 2005
US
Good morning,

Ok I installing a new SMS 2003 Server with a new site- here is my concern- There was a different SMS 2003 site up about 6 months ago and the server crashed and it was never brought back online- Is there going to be a problem getting the clients to see the new site or push out the client for the new site?

As long as your boundaries are set to include the clients, it doesn't make a difference. You're site server will detect the clients based on whether they are within the boundary, assuming that you already had Advanced SMS client on the client machines, then they will automatically detect the new site, when the new Site Server polls the Heartbeat....you can have two site servers running in parrallel if you wanted, serving the same boundry, and clients will just be associated with which ever one they recieve data from.

I have been creating many different test environments (different configs for the server sides), and I accidently set one up a PSS with a different site code (just kept the same site codes normally, cause it was just to test the collection stucture.
I checked the client that was on the network, and pressed the "auto detect" site, and it picked up the name of the new site server immediately.

Obviously, configure all your boundaries and everything BEFORE you enable any discovery methods. Enabling heartbeat discovery, which is what is needed for the site server establishment for the client, will get you the new site code, or your new connection.

So just configure your site server, then enable heartbeat and Act Dir Sys Discovery, and set Run As Soon As Possible. Everything should be populated within the next couple of minutes. Don't forget to update and refresh your collections.

Large sites this may take a while.

Hope that helps. It's weekend time....going on a trip. Hehehe :)

Neil J Cotton
UCLan Ba-SYS Development and Project Manager
NJC Technical Productions
Software Development | Network Consultancy | Wireless Network Provissions
Member of the IETF CAPWAP Work Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back