Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

robros

Programmer
May 22, 2001
US
Can anyone point me in the correct direction.
I was handed the task of installing Metframe Xp onto another server.
The other servers in the farm were done by others before me, since I have never done this I want to do it right the first time.
Any suggests for instructions or links would be great

Thanks

Robert

Your Al Meyers Kid..You Look Pretty Stupid To me.

Should be quite straightforward as long as you do the groundwork;

1) Ensure the server is at the same O/S build as the others (service packs, hotfixes, registry tweaks, etc).

2) Ensure the software build is at the level you need - if you're load-balancing apps, for example, they should be identically service-packed, etc.

2a) Better still than 1 and 2, clone one of your existing servers, if the hardware build is pretty much identical. Here's how: You can, of course, clone the entire farm - a useful way of providing a quick and easy backup/restore strategy, as no data should ever be stored on a MetaFrame server (in an ideal world...)
3) KNOW the location of the DataStore and the user required to access it (is it a direct connection to an external Database or an indirect connection to a MF server hosted Access DB?).

4) Should be pretty much a case of put the CD in and off you go, if you didn't go the cloning route. MetaFrame practically installs itself - but different levels require slightly different approaches - XP with no FR is slightly trickier than XP FR2 and beyond.

Remember the 6 "P"s;

Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance...

:)

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back