Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New install of 2003 Cannot get rid of "Read only"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garob

Technical User
Jul 23, 2003
GB
Odd one this.

Have been upgrading a system and copied all the data from an NT4 system to Windows 2003 Std on a Dell 1600SC.

All files are set in the data partition to "Read Only" by a grey tick. When you uncheck it and apply changes to all sub folders it just re ticks the Read only box ..

Anyone any ideas?

Yep, just ran into that today, same situation. Replacing NT with 2003.

If I remember correctly, right click on the drive in question (thru my computer) and check the security tab. Make sure the domain users and admins have full access. By default it was set to read only. apply to all folders and subfolders and files.

You may have to take ownership of all your files if they were copied from the windows NT server. Try the former first.

~ K.I.S.S - Don't make it any more complex than it has to be ~

Thanks Karmic....

I have solved this problem but your input was appreciated.

I had a prat who had copied the data over and moved it several times (in the name of streamlining!) and eventually put individual folders into the the D: root. The permissions were all screwed up....

Solution was to slap the prat and copy eveything onto the c: drive into a home directory and copy that to the d: root , keeping everything simple and backing up beforehand.

I can now set permissions correctly and the customer is happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back