Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Install keeps locking up and rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

john82

Technical User
Mar 24, 2006
US
I have recently aquired a Compaq ProLiant DL380, and decided to install Server 2003 on it. While the initial install had to be done three or four times because I needed the correct drivers for the hardware, I finally got it installed. Now I log in as administrator and go to update the server or even assign the server a new role, and it locks up. I cannot do anything, no mouse or keyboard, the only thing I can do is powerdown and reboot. When I log bacdk into windows it just locks up a few seconds/minutes after I try and run a process.... Please Help!

Did you build the server using the firmware maintenance disk and smart start?

No my server was a hand me down I have no software for it. I downloaded this upgrade disk for it, but I was under the impression I had to install the OS first.

Boot into safe mode. If you don't lock up, then you probably have an issue with one of the drivers. The smart start disk is nice because it will preload the drivers for you, but not a requirement if you are willing to load the drivers manually. Look in the device manager and uninstall the hardware you installed drivers for and let windows use PNP to reload the hardware drivers.

If you get lockups in safe mode, you probably have an issue with the OS, and most likely related to the upgrade disk. Do you enjoy reloading the OS?

Check the website, I beleive you can download an image of the smartdisk and burn that to a CD to use. One issue I've run across, the smartstart CD does not yet support SATA drives (had to install the OS without smartstart and manually load the 3rd party SATA driver) but I was able to load the drivers from the smartstart afterwards.

Start, Help. You'll be surprised what's there. A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

HP has a Firmware Maintenance disk and a SMartStart that you should install before the OS. The firmware maintenance will make sure all the firmware is up to date, then the SmartStart will walk you through the install of the operating system. SmartStart will install all the drivers needed and will then ask you some questions about the OS you are going to install. At the end of SmartStart it will ask for the OS disk and copy it's contents over. This is how you should install HP/Compaq servers. Both the Firmware Maintenance CD and the SmartStart CD are available from the HP website:

Firmware Maintenance:

SmartStart:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back