Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new HP restored files cannot view pictures, video, music

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandwedger

Technical User
Apr 30, 2001
US
Brand new HP Pavilion, Win7 64bit, restored files from Carbonite, originally on a HP WinXP 32 bit. I can view all files except for My Pictures, My Music and My Videos. I get a pop up saying that I do not have permission to access these folders, even though I am using the administrator account. How can I fix this?

even though you are using Administrator rights, you are not the OWNER of said files, thus you can not view them... See below on how to take ownership...

How to Take Ownership & Grant Permissions to Access Files & Folder in Windows 7

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Indeed - and especially with windows 7 permissions, even stricter than XP, having said that, if you try to open the folders, Win 7 should ask if you want to take ownership of the folders and files.

ACSS - SME
General Geek

CallUsOn.png

1832163.png

Yes, you say you're using "the administrator" account, but if the files are stored under "YourName" account, then even the administrator account isn't an automatic owner.

If the above doesn't work, and you need to change something with admin priviledges, but don't want to be an administrator, then there's a simple but annoying workaround:
1. change YourAccount to administrator rights
2. login to YourAccount, make whatever changes you need
3. chagne YourAccount back to "user" level privilidges.

sounds silly, but that's sometimes easier than using a separate admin account.. particularly if it's a one-time fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back