Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

NEW HELP WITH THE 4LX RAID CONTROLLER

Status
Not open for further replies.

newBPhoneGuy

Technical User
Dec 12, 2005
US
OK so i have a 4lx raid controller in a xseries 342....everything wiorks fine i can boot to windows and all that good stuff. so what i need help with is booting serveraid manager.......the firmware on the controller is 7.10.18 i have tried to boot bot 7.10 and 7.12 with no luck
everytime i try to boot i it goes into come xf86config thing telling me i need to select a monitor grapgics card and resolution i do that and it says theres a problem with the config opt's me to go back and fix ive tried all possible combinations of settings and still the same thing so when i select the quit opt it takes me to the command prompt i type exit and the system reboots and boots to that salt n pepper screen where the mouse is a X and then it loads the serverraid manager screen where it says "loading Serveraid....." then reboots

WHAT GIVES.....

thanks in advance

Yup... Seen things like this before. The Linux boot kernel on the CD probably is rejecting the video subsystem. I have the same issue on another system. If you are trying to update the firmware... use the diskettes from 7.12. If you are trying to configure, use the 7.00 CD. It will probably boot.. (it did in my system when 7.12 didnt).

yteah im just configuring and already tried 7.00, 7.10, 7.12, and ive tried multiple monitors this bi**h is a pain thanks for the post if you have anymore suggestions id be glad to try them

Is that a stamped version of the raidmanager support CD or burned copy?

If it is burned try downloading and burning another image. Only times I have seen it not boot is usually a corrupt download.

yeah they are burned copies but they work on other systems just fine and i think they worked on this system once before with the bad scsi card i had problems with before...but it would boot so right now im in the process of downloading and burning some older versions and seeing what happenes......by the way if anybody cares i found a website that has all the versions from the low 4/x's up to the newest 8.25 if anybody want the link let me know and i will post it

I would like to have that link. We have a internal link but IBM customers can't access it so it would be great to have an external link.

So what i have come to find out: on an xseries340 it looks as though serveRAID manager wont boot from 7.0 through 7.12 (i havent tried 8.x yet) the earlier versions i have tried 5.1 and 6.1 and they both work i also noticed the linux version on the cd for 7.0 and up is ISOLINUX 2.02 and on the earlier versions are SYSLINUX 1.62........os this is what i found now im going to put the same Raid card (4lx) into a few other sys's i have laying around and syy how it your in there.....will update

and yet another up date i tried the later versions (7.12_ on an xserises255 and 345 and the booted up just fine so im gonna say that its just the 340 but i dont have any xseries systems to try is if anyone would like to try the 7.0 7.1 and 7.12 on lets say a 342 and post the results that would be good oh and i think the 8.x is only for the 8i controller and for ssa drives..... any further updates on this post regarding ServeRAID manager would be helpfull to every one in the IBM world thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back